No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: NEGC or Sandwich?  (Read 3474 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Re: NEGC or Sandwich?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »
What have I started? lol!!!!

I'll take some more helpful photo's this weekend - this thread is a facinating read so far....

I'm going to re-read HG Wells build a machine and then go back and have a chat with Messieurs Lutz...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »
I do have a NEGC pear/cherries on latticinio and a scambled both have quite markedly concave bases, high profiles with rather steep sides.

The poinsetta/clematis is much squatter, flat crown, low profile and much flatter base.

The profile could have been altered over time - the base looks untouched - pics to follow though....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 08:29:57 PM »
I suspect the Hollister book will be in the next book order, along with "American Paperweights and Their makers"  :)

I agree that NEGC and B&S weights are quite apart from SL, they developed a different style.
One design where NEGC did show an influence from SL is the pears on latticino weight,
a quite common weight, the details are different but the overall design is similiar.
I don't have photos I can use online but Selman's catalogues have a few examples.

I took some quick pics of some US weights, showing their profiles.

First pic has three NEGC's, two scrambles and one concentric.

Second pic has the NEGC concentric on the left, a latticinio scramble is supect is B & S in the middle
and a Parpoint scatter on blue on the right.
Third pic shows the NEGC concentric's base, which is almost flat.
This concentric has annealing cracks which may account for a less than perfect polish to the base.

This is just to illustrate how weights, from NEGC at least, vary quite a lot.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »
For general info:

Jean S. Melvin's, American Glass Paperweights and Their Makers, is a great book. But be aware that it does not cover 19th and very early 20th century American products. The first edition was published in 1967 and the revised edition in 1970. The Introduction sets the scene about the focus on the, then, contemporary American makers. And, quoting from Chapter 1 ...
There are several active weight makers in America today. It is about these producers who are saving weight making from becoming a lost art in our time that this book is written.
KevinH

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 01:39:05 AM »
The weight is definitely a NEGC.  There are very few examples, of a B&S weight with a latticinio ground.  The setup is typically NEGC as are the leaves with twin rows of bubbles on them.  The typical NEGC setup has the flower sort of off center with a leaf and sometimes a bud.  You might consider taking a look at the poinsettia tutorial that I put up quite a while ago.

http://paperweights.com/poinsettia.htm

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »
The book I mentioned earlier, "The Art of the Paperweight - The Boston & Sandwich and New england Glass Companies"
by John D. Hawley just arrived.

In it he has sections on the most important/well known players, in the Lutz section he
notes that NL worked for NEGC briefly in 1869 or early 1870 before going on to B&S (page 27).

As to profiles, he notes that NEGC tended to have a higher profile to accomodate facetting,
but that lower domes were also made.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline cfosterk

• Members
NEGC or Sandwich?
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »
Well at long last some pics...

label states Sandwich (which is wrong) but also states 5/2/74 no 219 - so I presume this must be a sale?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand