No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Couple Interesting Contemporary Weights  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
A Couple Interesting Contemporary Weights
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:13:26 AM »
Bought a couple interesting weights on eBay recently simply because they were a little different.

The triangle of this "domed triangle" shape is a little off, with sides of roughly 2 1/8" x 2 1/2" x 2 5/8", and a height of about 1 1/4". From the little I've learned about glass work, I'd imagine this shape had to be "eyeballed" as opposed to, say, a spherical, ovid, domed, or other circle-based weight that's rolled to and fro being evenly shaped with a wooden block.

The clear glass is exceptionally clear and completely "incidental bubble"-free (the specs on the photos are dust, not artifact in the weight) and has a slight blue color to it. The inner stained-glass looking colored portion is not solid, rather it's like a very thin "wall" -- transparent except for the few red-colored portion.

The base reads either "LT '94" or "VT '94".

This next one is an eyecatcher. It has two recesses, almost opposite each other, with placed air pockets giving it the raptor-ish appearance of something with two eyes. There are many very tiny incidental bubble in the glass -- so small I didn't notice them until they appeared in the photos and I went back and took a closer look at the weight. The sig around the base look like an "L" (but could arguably be an "h" or "R" also) first initial, followed by a last name that looks like "Ja??tt". If you squint just right, the first letter in the last name might be an "S". The third letter in the last name has barely visible little hitch or stutter at the top as if it might be a lowercase script "r".

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
Re: A Couple Interesting Contemporary Weights
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »
I'm still utterly stuck on both of these. Do the sigs (or even the style) look at all familiar to anyone? Even the thinnest of threads to follow would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »
Sorry Mike,
wish i could help! It looks like an L, first letter of last name could be a form of an F ?

try this link, Im just going to study this page for mine,
http://www.sweetbriar.co.uk/paperweights.php

I will look out for yours

Andy 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:25:34 AM »
Still stuck on both of these. However, a current listing on eBay (#330240013893)  has renewed my interest and given me another avenue to follow for the first weight. The seller says he doesn't know who the artist is, either -- but it is very obviously the same person -- and his weight adds another possibility to the LT and VT I was searching: VA and LA. Interestingly, this same artist has/had apparently been making this same style weight for at least 5 years (94-99) -- and the craftsmanship is very good -- so one would think he or she wouldn't be such a PitB to find!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand