No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard decanter  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Holmegaard decanter
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:33:34 PM »
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/010-1.jpg

Can anyone give me any info on this Holmegaard decanter please?  It has some strange markings on the side which may be something to do with measures, but I'm not sure (see reflected image on pic).

TIA  ;)
Anne E.B

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard decanter
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »
The markings are Plimsoll Lines, ususally found on the sides of ships to indicate their weight in the water. I have several types of glasses spanning a few ranges with these markings, but I've yet to figure out why. I'm currently assuming they were produced for a shipping line, as I did find a set of carafes with original packaging... but it was an unmarked polystyrene container which would indicate they weren't made for retail.

I'll scavenge through my resources to see if I can find the exact model of decanter.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Nope - it doesn't show up in any of the bits and bobs I have. Hopefully Peter may have some reference to it in his catalogue pages.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:35:39 PM »
Thanks Nic.  :)

I've been having a look round but haven't spotted my decanter yet.  However, I spotted this new Bohemian one with a silver Plimsoll line :o.  The shape is very similar to mine, but common to most ship's decanters,  www.tabletoptraders.com/details.aspx?p=2237&c=

Also spotted, new Holmegaard "ship's" glasses" model 4302213" on eBay in the USA. and also here www.danishporcelain.com - Holmegaard Stemware Collections - "Ships Glass" - designed by Per Lutken.

I'm just wondering if my decanter would have originally come with these glasses, and therefore have also been designed by Per Lutken?  Hopefully Peter will know :)
Anne E.B

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »
Right you are, Anne - the decanter is from Lutken's 1971 'Skibsglas' / 'Ship's Glass' series.... Just found it.  :)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:48:33 PM »
Yay!  ;D  Thanks Nic :clap: Great result ;)
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand