No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Barovier and Toso bowl?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline ckscot

• Members
Possible Barovier and Toso bowl?
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »
I bought this at my local auction yesterday.  It had a handwritten sticker saying "Barovier & Toso 1950's Murano Bowl with Gold".  I know, I know.....these kinds of stickers are notoriously unreliable.  BUT, other stickers from the same seller seemed to check out, so I thought I'd take a chance!

So I'm wondering what the experts on this site think of it.  Might the attribution be correct? If so, would it be considered a good piece? Might Ercole Barovier have created it, or were there plenty of other designers there? If not correct, then any ideas who might have made it?

It measures about 9 " in diameter (23 cm).  It has a rough pontil with a looped raised base.  The black background emphasises the gold, in ordinary light it seems much more transparent (see photo 4) -and the gold looks a bit like the marks left when you remove sticky tape that's been on  a surface for a while.

many thanks, Iain
Iain

Offline Springhead

• Members
Re: Possible Barovier and Toso bowl?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »
I think the bowl... it is very nice.... may be circa 1930's

just by the style... there are more knowledgeable people on the board who can give a better attribution than me.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »
Fairly "Generic" mid-century Murano glass, which could have been made by anyone, including companies you've never heard of. Pretty enough to always sell well, but not particularly interesting to serious collectors.

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »
Thanks for your views.  Generic Murano sounds a fair description! Fortunately I like the look of it, so its attribution isn't critical, but it will find its way onto Ebay eventually I expect.
Regards, Iain
Iain

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:46:23 PM »
BTW: that's not to say that it isn't by Barovier, Seguso, or another one of the important companies, just that it's such a common design that without having a label or catalogue photo, a definite attribution is next to impossible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand