No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: fulvio bianconi cockerels  (Read 4966 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
fulvio bianconi cockerels
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:58:09 PM »
just got this pair, they measures 6" and 5" high, the bodys are hollow blown , covered in gold leaf, the body have a pattern of which reminds me of apple lattice tart , i've been through all my italian glass books and only found one pattern like this which is a venini piece designed by fulvio bianconi , if you have the book , it's italian glass murano.milan 1930-1070 by prestel, on page 92 in the shape of a glove or hand

click image

cheers Ray

Offline Springhead

• Members
Re: fulvio bianconi cockerels
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:03:38 PM »
Newer...

Possibly Italian...

Very poor quality...

Not Venini

Hope this helped.

Offline Springhead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:41:07 PM »
P.S.... His family does not take kindly to his name being used in conjunction with such items, and rightly so... It will be on the internet and available to search engines. Do not be surprised if you hear from them... heh...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:25:10 AM »
Why would Bianconi's family object to questions being asked? Ray, who has a very good eye for glass, is only mooting a possibility, not making a claim

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:40:01 AM »
I think Springhead is making a point that the family had been making trouble about using the Bianconi name before.
I was actually 1 of the people they contacted a while back because I listed a piece on Ebay that I said looked in the Forato Style, like Bianconi. They contacted Ebay and closed my auction. There was a big deal about it, and we had talked about it before on the board too. Im sure if you search for it you will find the topics.

I havent heard of anything like that happening recently. So I do think they are not looing on Ebay or searching like they were in the past.

On the figures, they look like Avem pieces, but the same have been reproduced recently in Murano.
So, hard to know if they are new or old. Personally I have kept away from them for that reason. Unless they have a label I won buy them.
(nothing against your pieces)
Same problem with the pieces listed as Poli and Seguso that I have personally seen at the Mall.
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Springhead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »
Below is a newer Murano chicken I bought for my sister.

Here is a Bianconi Chicken...

http://www.barovier.it/novecento/animali/anim_30.htm

I have also seen one in black pasta vetro somewhere.

The style of fighting chickens posted

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180088516596

is a common theme in very inexpensive Chinese imports. Copies of high quality Japanese bronzes...

[Moderator: Long link shortened]

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 07:12:03 PM »
springhead, why are they poor quality? it would of taken some time to make these as they have a hollow body not just a lump of glass and theres 29 applied pieces not including the base so i would say there very good quality

i bet them fighting cocks in the ebay link are made in Thailand not china

thanks Christine for the comments

svazzo, on the golden cockerel there has been a label with gold lettering and a gold border, but to far gone to make out
cheers Ray

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
is it really small?
try and take a photo of it.
I might be able to tell you if its an older label.
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »
the best i can do, the bit's that are left is some of the gold foil, hard to photo due to the gold leaf in the glass, the outline measures about 15mm across

click image

cheers Ray

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:09:29 PM »
from the pictures you posted of the label remnants i'd ~guess~ that it was a circular, plastic label. paper labels had the foil on top, so it would go before the paper and adhesive. this looks like the "foil" is attached to the adhesive outline which, to me, suggests a plastic label was originally present. don't know if that's helpful at all and it's only my opinion based on observations.

have a beautiful day,

bidda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand