No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bead Cane (split from Re: Satin Minimalist Weight)  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Bead Cane (split from Re: Satin Minimalist Weight)
« on: August 16, 2007, 07:50:39 AM »
I was struck by the similarity of the canes in this weight to a large Murano bead which I inherited from a great-aunt, and which I know to be over 50 years old.  This would seem to indicate that these canes have been made for at least that length of time, and probably much longer.  I also remember seeing similar beads in the Glass Museum on Murano, which were considerably older!

Not that that gives any indication of the age of the weight.  Just saying. 
Leni

Offline Springhead

• Members
Chevron Beads for Leni
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 02:35:06 PM »
Leni...

On the other post it would be off topic if I respond to it. So... I'll share with you why I know that is a 19th century chevron bead. Chevrons were popular since the fifteenth century or so but older ones like that usually have at least seven layers. Later during the 19th century African trade the beads were reduced to six layers and there were tons and tons of them still existing in Africa up to and during the twentieth century. In fact they are still being sold at antique shows and flea markets throughout the US... Ironic... heh...

The value depends on the size. Big ones sell for hundreds.

Chevrons were also traded in the US but are rare and mostly 18th century seven layer beads, Louis and Clark's route I think is where they are most commonly found.

The bead you have is a nearly perfect specimen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand