No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb England Coronation Glasses?  (Read 8193 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Webb England Coronation Glasses?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 05:07:49 PM »
Bet, they're not uranium.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »
Webb's is known for including uranium for green glass and yellow-green glass, which they named, appropriately, Sunshine Amber. I have plenty of their glass and much does contain uranium. You may be right, but it does appear to have that alluring tinge.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Operaguy

• Members
And the verdict is....
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 03:56:35 PM »
They ARE uranium glass.  Under the blacklight they glow greenish.  Let all money change hands in the betting arena.  Thank for all your help with IDing these!

OG

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 07:56:11 PM »
They have to glow more than greenish for me to lose. They have to be really bright green  :mrgreen: like Mr Green, see picture below. Yellow uranium glass is really bright. Manganese in glass gives a greenish glow, but not a bright green one

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
Webb's Amber Sunshine really :mrgreen: glows green :mrgreen:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 06:06:11 AM »
If you want a look at more Coronation see  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56272.msg318948.html#msg318948  at the top of the third page.

Ross

I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 01:52:57 PM »
By the way Christine you would lose.  There was a glass recently on Ebay here in Australia and it glowed under black light.

Also there is a second version - much harder to find with clear over black and a slightly different engraved pattern.  I have a decanter, 3 goblets , a tumbler and a sherry.

Ross

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 10:35:17 AM »
Where do you live Operaguy & David?  I have seen lots of Coronation decanters - I could have 5 by now instead of just two.  I have sets of Goblets, White wines , Large Tumblers & Small Tumblers,  as well as two jugs, plus sundry bits with the black base.

It is noticeable to me that all the items I have have been here in Australia and I can't remember ever seeing the pattern for sale in the UK.  This makes we wonder if in fact the original design was intended for Edward the 8th's coronation - and the factory decided to get rid of its useless(as there was to be no coronation) to the colonies - as far away from the UK as possible.

Just a recent wrinkle.  In conversation with a dealer hoping to get more black Coronation items(he only had Amber) he mentioned that in the distant past he was fairly certain he had seen a red version as well.  Something for me to search for.

Ross

PS.   Those Goblets are excellent for champagne - 4 glasses to a bottle but they are wonderful in the hand.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand