No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink basket - Czech ?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Pink basket - Czech ?
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:21:31 PM »
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/022-1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/020-2.jpg

This small basket sits on five scalloped feet (I'm sure there is a better way to describe the feet??) and has applied gold enamel decoration on each lobe and handles.  No markings.  My initial thoughts - may be Czech?  It looks quite old. 

Any ideas please?

TIA  :)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Re: Pink basket - Czech ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:10:35 AM »
Hmmmm...
I have a lot of baskets, mostly Victorian, I don't think this one is that old. I actually think it is more likely mid-20th century & maybe Italian rather than Czech.
There is quite a bit of Italian glass from this era that actually does look somewhat like Victorian glass, some straight repros & others more "inspired by" it rather than direct copies. This includes baskets.
The patterned, leaf-like feet of the basket do copy Victorian styles, but the more organic form of the basket itself, especially that split handle, are much more 20th C. in appearance.
I'll probably be bagged out mercilessly for my suggestion of a possible Italian origin, but that's my gut feeling! ;D
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 05:34:43 PM »
Hi, okay, assuming I know nothing really about glass (quite a safe assumption)  ::) I do have a couple of observations. One, the handles are very similar in construction to the handles on my vasart baskets, so I agree with Heart about the 20century.  :chky: Also, the scoops and shape of the bowl's lip remind me of my murano piece, so I think it may be from that island. And that's the limit of my glass brilliance.  ;D I now have to go be brilliant about classism  :-[

Carolyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 04:41:01 PM »
Apologies for the delay in responding :-[

Many thanks for your comments folks :)  I'm quite happy for it to be Italian ;)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand