No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: barovier & co label c. 1919-1936  (Read 1865 times)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
barovier & co label c. 1919-1936
« on: January 30, 2008, 08:17:25 PM »
hi all,

i picked up this cute little covered bowl and thought the label might be of interest as i'd never seen it before (of course, there's much i have yet to see hee hee). the labels gallery wouldn't let me upload it there so, moderator can please move the images (or this entire bit) there if they wish. :)

it's a simple, purple honeycomb textured bowl. the lid has a gold infused clear ring applied to the edge and a rose atop. i admit, i bought it mostly to get a closer look at the label, though it's a pretty piece in it's own right.

bidda

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: barovier & co label c. 1919-1936
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:41:37 PM »
Thanks bidda, I've added it to Murano101 for you. You should be able to upload once signed into GlassGallery - it's an open category/album so any registered user there can add to it.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »
Just want to clarify that it is not a barovier & Co. label, but a label for an earlier incarnation of the company, Artisti Barovier, which had different owners.

Laura

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:39:30 PM »
thanks Laura,

i found this quote, "The various incarnations of the glassmaking arm of the Salviati firm are as follows: 1854-1866 Salviati Dott. Antonio fu Bartolomeo (indicating in the Venetian vernacular that Antonio was Bartolomeo's son); 1866-1872 Societa Anonima per azioni Salviati a Compagnia; 1872-1877 Venice and Murano Glass and Mosaic Company Limited (Salviati and Company); 1877-1895 Salviati Dott. Antonio; 1895-1919 Artisti Barovier. " @ http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-91088119.html (about 3/4 down the page)

the label actually says, "???S ARTISTIQUES - ?arovier & C? - MURANO" (don't know if that's clear in the pic). could the "artistiques" be an indication that this piece was originally imported to France (ie. artistiques=artisti)?  if this is, indeed an Artisiti Barovier piece as opposed to a Barovier & Co piece would it be considered Salviati or Barovier? lastly, i assume this means my original thought on age was a bit off - so, this would have been made c. 1895-1919 rather than 1919-1936?

all the incarnations of the many companies can be so confusing  :o thanks again for your consideration and input :)

bidda

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:59:12 AM »
The label is from 1919 - 1934.
That is from the actual Barovier book "Art of the Barovier" by Marina Barovier.

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »
thanks Javier. :)

bidda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum