No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Australian Chris Pantano vase, Is it really worth this much???  (Read 15539 times)

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
Re: Australian Chris Pantano vase, Is it really worth this much???
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
:hi: Thanks again Ross, Unfortunately the vase is not of any great size approximately 10 cm high, but is free from any damage and scratches. the vase is very nice Max and its been a pleasure to own and i like it a lot but putting this into perspective i am a single dad working a part-time job and now :o :) i know this, i will after sell the vase but not sure if Ebay is the place or not, I would appreciate any advice from anyone?  :sun:
Robert.

I wouldn't have anything to do with eBay, frankly.
The most of the high end items you see listed is only there to advertise the sellers 'shop'. 
Secondly, many of us in the numismatic field realise they don't do enough to rope in forgeries.  As the biggest International venue for the trade of such collectables and highest turnover on a daily basis, they have a moral & ethical duty to do more to address this serious issue. Forget the rhetoric about 'Trust & Safety' ... it takes second place to profit.
I've had numerous dealings with eBay and a perfect trading record there, until their inaction on a number of matters had me close all accounts I had there.
My confidence level with eBay:  0/10 now....   ZERO 

Next is how far people trust auction houses even if they are trading in a 'on floor' + 'internet' bidders.  Me?   I'm sure I've been 'had' in the past with vendor bidders. The practice is widespread and my confidence level is low unless I'm present at an auction to assess the risk. Upcoming auctions are not always well publicised so collectors like myself usually find it's way too late. It's very rare to find a good description of lots or even a photo of an item. 
My confidence level with online bidding like this:  0-5/10 depending upon response to my enquiries.   [so thats zero - 50% maximum bid on what I think it's worth]

Last piece I purchased was from doing a google search, finding a gallery selling an early perfume bottle of the 'Fire Opal' series.  It's not as impressive as any of my other Pantano pieces. Thats small at around 100mm diameter.... excluding the stopper.  I contacted the vendor directly and her replies were honest and direct... so I paid full asking price of AU$150. I'm not into haggling. Add another AU$30 for highly excessive postal protection of which I specified.  I DO NOT trust Australia Post shipping anything fragile from the East Coast of Aus to the West Coast by a primitive road/rail/road system that has cost me big time through breakage in the past.
My confidence level dealing directly with a vendor [done so many times with eBay sellers offsite with no mutual problems at all.] : 5-9/10  No haggling, full asking price paid. NO skimping on protective packaging.

Anyhow, if you do decide to on sell please advise asking price.
So it goes.

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 03:09:24 AM »
OK, not fantastic quality images [taken for a shipping manifest].
Last piece purchased this year is not included unfortunately

Is this where I post em for this forums data base?  

Anyhow............

Wave:  105mm dia. x 95mm high  http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/reproducer/DSC00875.jpg

Rain Forest: 105mm dia. x 190 high  http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/reproducer/DSC00859.jpg

Reef: 120 dia. x 235mm high  http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/reproducer/DSC00908.jpg

Desert?   Outback? : [can't recall atm] 210mm dia x 160 high http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/reproducer/DSC00879-1.jpg
Hmmmmm ... sorry, could have done better with that shot!   LOL

True Blue: 160 dia. x 200mm high http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/reproducer/DSC00900.jpg
I think this is an artist proof of sorts because all other examples I've seen have an orange colour rim.
This has matt acid etch finish. All other pieces are of cased construction.

So it goes.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 07:28:17 AM »
Nice bits MIsha.  I have 6 paperweights and a lovely Fire Opal perfume of Chris's work.

Would love to compare notes sometime - send me an email if you want to.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 08:04:02 AM »
 :hi:  Thanks, will do sometime.
Gets rather distracting and unpredictable here sometimes, but will do that soon.

I'm headed Melbourne way within the next 6months to visit my lady friend too.... not keen on visiting Sydney, grew up there and escaped a crappy neighbourhood.

I had another look at those images.  Report card should say "Could do better".  That 'Wave' is an incredibly dynamic piece to behold.
Lots of diachronic in there. Photo's just can't capture the full beauty.  Maybe a short video in full sun can when I get the time.

Priority is to photograph a green Victorian piece I would like to know more about...  now I've found people that know their glass.

Right, off to do that NOW!     
So it goes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand