No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green Deco Bowl Help?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline aveitglass

• Members
Green Deco Bowl Help?
« on: July 11, 2005, 12:01:23 AM »
Can any body help me? I have been searching for info on this lovely green deco bowl for weeks and i am still where i started "1930 Sowerby"
It is driving me mad and someone must know something about it? I paid £1 at a boot sale as it stuck out like a sore thumb!

Kind R’s

Ang

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/aveitglass/230505vintageArtDecoglowinggreenvas.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/aveitglass/260605BagleyDavidsonBowl.jpg

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Green Deco Bowl Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 01:41:25 AM »
Ang — Yes, it is Sowerby.   Pattern No. 2566 "Rose Bowl".   It came with a matching glass flower holder and, optionally, a 3¾" fitting black plinth No. 2616.   It dates from the 1930s, and was still being made in the mid 1950s.

Oddly, Sowerby's 1954 trade catalogue describes it as a rose bowl but illustrates it filled with daffodils!

Later — I have worked it out!    The catalogue came out in May, so the the photograph from which the printer produced the block must have been taken March/April time.   Too early for roses!   Another flower set is shown filled with anemones, again a spring flower.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline aveitglass

• Members
Green Deco Bowl Help?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 06:31:32 PM »
Hi Bernard C,

Thank you very much! Lucky the bowl is in mint condition which is good for the year it was made! How hard is it going to be in finding the missing bits? I will take a look on eBay and see if i can find them?
It would also look stunning with roses coming out!

Thanks again for you help!

R's

Ang

Offline aveitglass

• Members
Green Deco Bowl Help?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 01:57:07 PM »
Thank you all and i have again checked the bowl and i cannot spot any faults so i guess i made the correct choice and to be honest it looked lovely sitting on a table!

R's

Ang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand