No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: future glass antiques  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
future glass antiques
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 11:17:41 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
How about square straight sided bowls in the form of interlocking jigsaw puzzle pieces with variations, 3 prongs - 1 hole, 2 prongs - 2 holes, ditto prongs at right angles, 3 holes 1 prong, 4 holes... etc.

Love the idea of them also forming a multi-coloured sculpture Frank.  Hate the idea of them being shut away out of sight in a cupboard.  8)  However, I'm going potty drawing pictures of what I think you mean.  :twisted:  Just about to reach for my scissors and cardboard doh!  Good job I'm a Graduate of the Blue Peter School and can now make a model of the Sydney Opera House out of lollipop sticks and empty milk cartons! :wink:
Anne :lol:
Anne E.B

Offline Leni

• Members
future glass antiques
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 11:30:11 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
How about square straight sided bowls in the form of interlocking jigsaw puzzle pieces with variations, 3 prongs - 1 hole, 2 prongs - 2 holes, ditto prongs at right angles, 3 holes 1 prong, 4 holes... etc.

:shock: I can hear the argument starting already!   :shock:

"Fetch me the 3 prong 1 hole bowl, please."

"No, you idiot!  That's the 1 prong 3 hole!"  

"Do you mean the pink 3 hole 1 prong, or the green 3 prong 1 hole?"

"No, no!  the green has 4 holes and 2 prongs!  Are you blind?"

"Sorry, I thought that was the 2 prong 4 hole!"

"That's the blue one, stupid!"

"Oh, get the **** bowl yourself!"  

:lol:  :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
future glass antiques
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 11:32:43 AM »
As EVERYTHING has to be fitted with cupholders nowadays (my computer has one which slides out when you press any one of several buttons), Frank's idea is particularly brilliant as you could use the sticky out bits as dip or condiment holders.   They would also sell well in the upmarket pet trade for both watering and feeding cats/dogs.

If you add up Peter's numbers and later additions, I see we are getting close to 42 — the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
future glass antiques
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 05:20:05 PM »
IMHO designers need to lead ... if they come up with well thought out designs which are practical the public will buy....eventually.
In the short term the buying public are too easily swayed by decoration and fashion. They only learn functional shortcommings after purchase and use. It's the designers job to think about that before hand.
But...............
More ideas are needed!!

OK then I vote :

Serving dishes
...in a variety of shapes according to use (ie oblongish for Lasagne, Spanakopita, round for Cauli Cheese etc. etc)

General attributes
a) Oven, Microwave, Freezer, Dishwasher proof .
b) No sharp edges or corners
c) Textured externally but with texture disappearing towards the rim of serving dishes so that spills over the edge don't get stuck in the grooves.
OR internal desings with glass fiber
d) Vented, slotted lids for excess steam and stay-put draining  
e) Knobbled insert trays for microwave steaming
f) Clear glass - They will transmit whatever color is beneath. Want white ? use white tablecloth or place mats (US coasters). Want black ? - use black rubber (Max control yourself)

Dining Service
1)Oval (rounded oblong) rimless plates with a shallow even gradient towards a sous-plateau centre so that gravy and sauces stay where they are supposed to.
2) Medium sized shallow bowls for stir-fry's and pastas  
(about the size of Leni's Denby)
3) Slim Salad "trays" to lie along the top of the plate so that salad takes a central place on the table and in the diet. These can double as corn-on-cob dishes and whole trout platters.
4) Pear dishes large enough for large Avo's and large poached pears
with shaped base for smaller pears.
5) Lidded & handled soup bowls for mircowave warming - no messey geysers caked to microwave walls.
6) Shallow desert dishes to make portions look more generous but deep enough to double for individually baked lasagnas, pies, puddings etc.
7) Sectioned TV supper trays to slot into wooden lap tray.....Lidded for "your dinner's in the microwave" re-heats.
8) Just shorter than pencil pot size containers for Cruditees Jardineres. The pieces stand upright.
9) Rim level handles for style, ease of carrying and ease of molding.
Thumb & finger depessions above and below for gripability.

No huge salad bowls
- Too space hungry
- large leaf salads and tossing = yesteryear
Small leaves are in and drizzle is the new toss

Instead  (if you must) a Chunky Salad Tower (smaller footprint) with grabber tongs for extracting desired pieces to be drizzled en assiette. Can double as chip (UK crisps) tower for chips n dips.

Stackable dip dishes and other larger containers with plastic lids for immediate return to fridge. Less washing up = ecofriendly.

Inverse Stackability ???? Use wire plate separators !
Just a few thoughts.......................
Pete

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
future glass antiques
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 06:03:18 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
...with plastic lids for immediate return to fridge. Less washing up = ecofriendly.

:o

What is wrong with glass lids, can go straight in the fridge. Doesn't need to be washed as the surface is non-absobent so you just leave the old food to dry and scrape it off and use on your vegetable windowbox. = totally ecofriendly
 :twisted:

Offline Leni

• Members
future glass antiques
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 07:02:42 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Medium sized shallow bowls for stir-fry's and pastas  
(about the size of Leni's Denby)

In case you're puzzled Sue, (and any others who noticed the previous references to our Denby dinner services) my stir-fry / pasta bowls are Denby 'Storm' as they didn't make pasta bowls in the days of 'Baroque', and IMHO the purple version of 'Storm' goes with 'Baroque' quite well   :D

- large leaf salads and tossing = yesteryear
Small leaves are in and drizzle is the new toss

:shock: Ooh Peter, you have such a turn of phrase!  :roll:  :wink:  :lol:

Lots of great design ideas!  I agree with you on many / most!  

Leni  xx
Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
future glass antiques
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 10:06:51 PM »
Peter said
Spanakopita

Is this a food or a place...???  I'm sure it's not served in wildest Cumbria!  :shock:

... and later Peter also said
drizzled en assiette

... if my assiette ever drizzles there'll be trouble for sure!  :roll:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
future glass antiques
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 10:47:55 PM »
:D :? :? :?  You have confused me Leni! -  I thought I had Baroque pasta dishes! :shock:
(The 8.5" wide, including rim, 1.5"deep ones).

I was thinking, however, of something the same diameter, but deeper as the suggestion.

I also have a huge (12" diameter, no rim, 3.5 "high dish) which I also thought was a pasta dish. If these are not pasta dishes, what are they???  :? :? :?  

The problem with oblong plates (as well as things skidding off the narrow sides) is room on the table. If they're big enough to hold dinner comfortably, they're too big for the table. Round is best.

All of Frank's things with prongs sound interesting, but the prongs will break off.
How do they fit into the dishwasher?
Glass topped things will not form a seal the way a plastic top will. No good for the 'fridge/freezer.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
future glass antiques
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2005, 10:52:24 PM »
Glass topped things will not form a seal the way a plastic top will. No good for the 'fridge/freezer.

Glass with a rubber seal perhaps, Sue? a la Kilner jar idea...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
future glass antiques
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 11:15:46 PM »
:D A pain in the dishwasher, and too many fiddly bits/crevaces for germs to breed in. I don't see any practical way around this. Nice try, though!
Plastic tops wouldn't take up nearly so much room either.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand