No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Studio Inka signed pin bowl??  (Read 2253 times)

Offline janton

• Members
Studio Inka signed pin bowl??
« on: July 11, 2005, 08:16:42 PM »
Hi all

I have been looking for any help on this mushroom amber glass bowl that is signed "inca."
Can anybody help? I picked it up in a junk shop and it has had me puzzled to who made it!

Any ideas on this art glass dish/bowl?

Do you think is it modern?

Many thanks

Stacey

Mod: The image links were broken and have been deleted. See Stacey's post further down for pictures.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Mushroom bowl? signed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 08:33:54 AM »
Hi you asked if I thought it was modern. In looking at the pics I would have to say yes and if I had to categorize it, would say studio glass. I know this is probably not much help, but maybe someone else has an idea. Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline janton

• Members
Mushroom bowl? signed
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 09:05:27 PM »
Thanks again
I have looked on eBay and asked some good friends and we are all stumped ideas?
I agreed about modern and would your UK or foreign?
It is a fab piece of glass and well so well made, do you know any one else that can help?

It is heavy and the etching on the top of the bowl is fab, Not to sure what to say!
It just feels like a fab piece and it is hard to explain, ask me some questions and i will attempt to ask them, i will also take some more photo's when i get a chance.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/janton_7/290505ArtGlassMushroonBowl.jpg

Stacey

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Mushroom bowl? signed
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 09:56:29 AM »
I'm guessing that the piece is about 8" diameter, although if the actual size were different this would not have a bearing on my comments.

This looks to me like a typical studio piece by a competent maker that is likely to have been made within the past 25 years. It could have been made by a studio owner, but equally by an assistant, or indeed a student at one of the art colleges (now universities) with a glass department.

Without being able to identify the signature and thereby attributing it accurately, it is not possible to say whether the maker, (ie the blower), was also the same person who did the cold worked decoration. It is quite possible that there the decoration was done by someone else. Many engravers commission or buy bowls like this from makers and work on them in their own studios.

From what I can see from the photographs, I think it is most likely that the decration was sandblasted, and not acid etched. The style of decoration suggests that the resist used was probably PVA glue which can be used squirted straight from the tube or bottle, but there are other ways of achieving this.

From time to time comments come up on the board regarding types of decoration and acid etching is often cited alongside sandblasting as an alternative. As a general rule (to which you will always find exceptions), most studio work of this genre is more likely to be sandblasted than acid-etched. Sandblasting is a bit like using sandpaper on wood....you can get different grades of abrasives so you can create different textural effects, and the finer grades, together with brush polishing with pumice or cerium can give a very satisfactory finish which is often mistaken for acid etching. Another way of getting a silky finish is to hand polish after sandblsting with various grades of diamond pads. This can be time consuming but achieves a fantastic "soft" surface that everybody assumes has been achieved with acid.  

Most people don't have access to acid facilities.

I wonder whether "inka" could a signature of a nickname or shortened form of something like "katinka"?
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Anonymous

Mushroom bowl? signed
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 11:41:19 PM »
Thank you and now i understand where i am going with this bowl.
It is only 5" in diameter and i will follow your lead on katinka and hopefully i find out who made the thing!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/janton_7/160705Incabowlclose.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/janton_7/160705IncaBowlSignurture.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/janton_7/160705Incabowlcloseup.jpg

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Mushroom bowl? signed
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:59:14 AM »
bump

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Mushroom bowl? signed
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 12:40:42 PM »
This company (Bohemian Crystal Exporter) feels like an unlikely candidate to me, but it's the only Inka I can find.  There's no etched glass that I can see, thought it might be worth contacting them though?

http://www.inkadesign.se/prod.htm
I am not a man

Offline janton77

• Members
Studio Inka signed pin bowl??
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 12:29:40 AM »
Any ideas?

Signed Inka.

Regards

Jay

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Studio Inka signed pin bowl??
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 01:41:54 AM »
Looks like a posy vase, Jay. How big is?  I can't find anything about the inka mark anywhere, so I wonder if it's the pattern name? It looks sort of inca / s.american design influenced. It could be one of the pieces from a marketing collection like LSA or SIA etc...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline janton77

• Members
Re: Studio Inka signed pin bowl??
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
Looks like a posy vase, Jay. How big is?  I can't find anything about the inka mark anywhere, so I wonder if it's the pattern name? It looks sort of inca / s.american design influenced. It could be one of the pieces from a marketing collection like LSA or SIA etc...
Size is 130mm wide x 50mm tall, thanks Anne and think about it it's very s/american.

Regards

Jay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand