No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orange fruit/cake Bowl  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Orange fruit/cake Bowl
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 11:43:31 PM »
Hi Gilead, each item deserves an individual post, but please dont expect it to be answered straight away.
Sometimes it take's......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 11:16:17 PM »
Hi Sue
         Thank you for the reply, i have now put up different posts for each item, and be most patient, in the mean time im off trawling the net to see if i can come across this bowl, its another day out hunting tomoz for me, so lots of walking and coffee, well and a bit of cake as well, haha cheers
         Gilead

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 08:43:40 PM »
Hi Saw a piece of pressed glass today in a book i am reading to gen up on Glass in general, it is the same colour as this bowl, and it was called Rubine a bright red from Sowerby's factory (c 1920 ) but it was square in shape, saying it is worth ten times as much as the same shape in amber or colourless glass,

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 09:00:56 PM »
Not wanting to rain on your party but I have the feeling it is a Tazza from one of the pressed glass ranges from Stiver of Italy; these have been in production since the sixties and were made in every conceivable colour.

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 09:07:25 PM »
Ivo
          Thought Tazza were flat on the top not a bowl shape? am confused now,

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 09:13:30 PM »
From wikipedia,

'A tazza is a shallow saucer-like dish either mounted on a stem and foot or on a foot alone. The word has been generally adopted by archaeologists and connoisseurs for a type of drinking vessel. It is the Italian translation of Cup'

Andy ;)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 09:26:19 PM »
Andy
       Thank you learnt something else now this site is great and the peeps very kind and helpful delight to post on here,
                                                                                                                                                              Steve

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 08:46:17 AM »
Quote from: Ivo
... I have the feeling it is a Tazza from one of the pressed glass ranges from Stiver of Italy; these have been in production since the sixties and were made in every conceivable colour.

Ivo — Thanks for that.   I've always supposed that they might be late C20 American, so I got that wrong.   A Stiver catalogue could be useful in identifying a number of old style mysteries in circulation.   Do you know the whereabouts of one?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 09:34:14 AM »
A Stiver catalogue could be useful in identifying a number of old style mysteries in circulation.   Do you know the whereabouts of one?

ehrm - yes. I've been hoarding one for years but I know it is not complete, it only lists the models which were in production in 1999. I talked to the sales manager a few years ago and he explained that they have been making this type of glass for 40 years, and there was no limit to the colours they used. This ranges from solid black, to all opaque colours, but also clear and tinted. So if you ask, did you make this in light blue, or in amethyst, or in bottle brown, the answer would always be yes.

I could try and photograph a few pages, the 'puter which operates the scanner has broken down. This is by the way the third computer on XP which broke down, I've heard nothing but crash stories these last week - is Bill gates busy blowing up all XP machines to sell more vista?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
Interesting, Ivo, that you mentioned black.   There is a similar tazza, always in black, with slightly taller proportions and a wavy edge, to be found, again with little or no base wear, probably from the same stable.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand