No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed Pulled Feather Weight with Single Millefiori Cane  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Signed Pulled Feather Weight with Single Millefiori Cane
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »
It is clear that someone has gone to the expense of making a rubber stamp for marking glass with the Schneider brothers signature and has access or made a suitable mixture for stamping. The last is not easy and would point to someone with glass industry experience. All of the weights that have shown up are clearly not Charles Jr. work unfortunately a lot of images on the other thread are missing. There are also fake Baccarat signatures circulating. Faking acid etched signatures is not that common, identifying where the weights were bought and who made them originally would be clearly useful.

Perhaps the two threads can be merged.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 10:00:14 AM »
Are the fake Baccarat marks only showing up on paperweights so far or on other items too?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »
Here is a link to an article about Schneider glass, it also shows a Schneider signature
http://glassandpotterysellers.org/newsletter/31_jan2006.htm

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 03:27:08 AM »
The signature on the weight compares quite well, but has some clear differences, with one of the many real versions used from 1918 to 1939 as shown in Edith Mannoni's book, Schneider.

Certainly, the form of the weight, which I suppose could be called a "double-ended Marbrie" (??) does not match with what is known of the Glass Globes produced post-war by the Schneider brothers, and pre-war Schneider did not make paperweights. So the conclusion on that evidence alone is that the signature on this item has to be false.

I agree that the weight is well made. I actually acted as servitor (with extremely little prior experience!!) in a fairly recent demonstration of making a Marbrie weight. It was surprising how many separate processes were required and how hard it can be to maintain an even flow of the pull-ups and also get everything centralised in readiness for capping with a cane. The fact that the weight shown here has a separate Marbrie-type pull at both the upper and lower sections (and there are opposing-direction pulls, too!) indicates it was made by somebody with a lot of experience of the work required. Sadly, the upper pulls don't all quite make it to the top of the weight, so it does show a degree of "lesser" expertise.

Personally, I do not think the maker of this weight would have been involved in a false signature, if only because of the idea that somebody with the necessary skill to make the weight would quite likely know that such items were not products of Schneider. I reckon it comes down, as is so often the case, to a dodgy dealer or export / import network having the signature added later.

That it has two distinct Marbrie loop sections (or perhaps Marbrie top with pull-up lower body) should, in theory, make it easier to narrow down the maker. But I have no idea who that may have been!
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
I had not meant to imply that it was the weight maker that added the signature. But rubber stamping with acid is not easy to do and would need some experienced. I know someone that tried, they got tips from glassmakers, had rubber stamps made, experimented for several months to discover the right mixture to use - and failed. All the glass used for the experiments had the damage polished off.

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 11:58:33 PM »
Thankyou so much for that educational info Kev, I'm assuming the Marbrie is the pulled feather design? I've not heard that word before.

I'm still looking into this, i'm sure it will be residing on my UGO shelf for a while but at least it's beautiful :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 12:21:11 AM »
Marbrie (in paperweight speak) refers to "trailed loops" (like, but usually neater than, loops on "Nailsea" wares) rather than "pointed" (or "zigzag") pulls which is what most "feathered" pulls are.
KevinH

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 06:32:59 PM »
Images Moved

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum