No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walther Glass Like Moser?  (Read 11247 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Walther Glass Like Moser?
« on: July 12, 2005, 03:18:26 PM »
Hi All,

I have added this as a new discussion from the Afors question in case it gets lost.

There was a purple vase about 5" tall with a gold band of figures around the base very similar to Moser of the 1920's but this has "Walther" and another number I can't remember impressed on the base. Would this have been a modern piece or a true Deco one? I know Walther made alot of Deco frog figures and bowls but had no idea they copied Moser.

Should I send my OH back for it :wink:

Barbara

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 04:28:32 PM »
Barbara, the amethyst vase with the decorated band was very likely a 1930s original Walther. I have a similar one. A range of items with these decorations are shown in Walther's 1932 catalogue.

Out of interest, Rindskopf made a similar style of glass in Carnival (known now as Classic Arts and Egyptian Queen) at around the same time. They used a green stain on the decorated band to give a metallic effect.

Riihimaki in Finland also imitated the decorated band - in Carnival Glass - at the same time too. You can see the Riihimaki item and the original Moser items on my website in the article called "Amazon Women". Click on the link on the left hand menu on my website.

http://www.carnival-glass.net

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:18:04 PM »
Hi Barbara

These are fairly common, the Walther ones that is, and a decent one with the gold intact can be found for as little as £15....if you are going back for it bear in mind no damage and the the gold not being worn. As far as I know they did not make these post WW11 so it would be 1930's.... if the date is important,

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 05:21:19 PM »
Hi Glen,

well my dear other half (who is paying for said item) will be despatched to purchase the vase tomorrow and I'll post some pictures.

Is this an unusual type of glassware for Walther to have produced? It doesn't seem to fit in with the other type of items they produced.

Barbara

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 05:28:25 PM »
Hi Gareth,

That puts a bit of a dampner on it then :(  

Its quite a bit more than £15.00, so will have to have another think.

Don't mind if its a "Must have" but not for a "Maybe"

Barbara

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 07:24:32 AM »
Barbara, I wish I could answer you with more expertise than I actually have with regard to Walther. I have no "in depth" knowledge of the company beyond a study of their catalogues and ownership of a small range of their glass (from the 1930s-1960s).

You asked:

Is this an unusual type of glassware for Walther to have produced? It doesn't seem to fit in with the other type of items they produced.

My answer would be that Walther made quite a wide range of glassware - their aim, I guess, in common with pretty much all other companies was to sell. So they would have produced glass in styles and patterns that was in the public taste at the time. Hence they made some Carnival Glass (my primary interest) and Cloud Glass (their Oralit) as well as the decorated band range that we are discussing. They also made much pressed glass in tableware shapes (bowls, plates, covered butters, decanter sets, jardinieres etc., etc.,) that are similar to other pressed glass makers of the era. In fact some of their intaglio designs are very similar to Brockwitz and Riihimaki examples.

Their fabulous table centerpieces and vases such as the "Greta" are just part of their wider range. Many of these were continued into the 1960s (Sachsenglas) so will be more available than the earlier items.

I haven't seen as many of the Walther figure band vases as Gareth has (I must have led a sheltered life  :roll: ). I can recall a pair in a local antique shop a few years ago which were £90 the pair. I also have seen a few at Ardingly at fancy prices. Mine was fairly inexpensive - we got it some years ago simply because we liked it and thought it was most unusual. I should have noted yesterday that mine is not amethyst, it is amber.

Glen

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 09:40:46 AM »
Quote from: "BJB"
Hi Gareth,

That puts a bit of a dampner on it then :(  

Its quite a bit more than £15.00, so will have to have another think.

Don't mind if its a "Must have" but not for a "Maybe"

Barbara

Hi Barbara

The price is simply a matter between you and yourself.... if its a must have and you've got the money...then why not.  I get the impression that the ones I've seen that were "expensive" might well have been for no other reason than the seller assuming they were Moser....and that maybe the ones at the other end of the scale were underpriced. You must also bear in mind that trends change and that the price might have risen in recent years. The only fixed cost here is the amount you are prepared to pay and as has been pointed out before this is not an exact science. In the past I have paid what might have been considered as too much for something... but time has moved on and I still am very pleased with the pieces... so as far as I am concerned it was money very well spent.. and that is the main criteria. Try not to get bogged down or too influenced by prices... as they are not the definitive guide to worth or value.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 10:18:28 AM »
Hi Gareth,

I know that price isn't everything, but at £60 it is a bit high, and the kids break up for the holidays on Friday :shock:

Don't mind about £25 for an item I'm not sure about but above that I do like to ask advice before parting with my hard earned cash :lol:

To be truthful I think I could do better buying a couple of the glass books I really want for that sort of money ( a nice papereweight one and a good one on Scandavian glass are top!)

Am off on my hols on Monday (yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh) so will look around Yorkshire to see what it has to offer :wink:

Barbara

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 10:41:47 AM »
Quote from: "BJB"
Hi Gareth,

, but at £60 it is a bit high, To be truthful I think I could do better buying a couple of the glass books I really want for that sort of money ( a nice papereweight one and a good one on Scandavian glass are top!)

Am off on my hols on Monday (yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh) so will look around Yorkshire to see what it has to offer :wink:

Barbara

Hi Barbara

Personally I couldn't agree with you more on both points.... and £60....phew!!....I am absolutely sure you will find one at least half that price.
Have a great holiday and luck with bargain hunting :wink:

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 10:46:10 AM »
Barbara - sorry that my "history lesson" wasn't much use to you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand