No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Figure - On Swirled Base w/label  (Read 14911 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Glass Figure - On Swirled Base w/label
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 08:29:46 PM »
Many, if not all, the large Murano companies did figures like this. The companies were in the business to make money and the human figures probably sold very well. The cased, bright red and black, along with the label, make me think FT is a pretty good company to start the search. I don't know of a site that has the human figurines. I run across them occasionally when I am looking for other things. Maybe we will be able to find yours somewhere.

Anita

Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 09:43:33 PM »
 :hb2: and I have something else to tell you (also) as I hit my head on the wall.....

Back last year (November) when I went to an Antiques show here the guy had the two (male/female) figurines for sale.  These, were a matched set.  I looked at them, and then asked why the female was so cheap.  Here the female figure had been broke.  He wanted $68 dollars for her, but was willing to sell her to me for $45.  I thought about it, and thought what good was it to only by the female, and not the male.  He wanted more (about a $150 more for the male).

I thought about buying the female (but never thought in the long haul) that I would be buying the male.  So at the time, I thought if I could not afford both...then why buy one, and the female was the one that had been broken (but repaired beautifully).  I thought about buying her--held her in my hands.  I did NOT want her to be split from her glass partner.  Also due to the fact she had been broken, but repaired.  So I said NO, and gave her back to the dealer.....never for her to touch my hands

Fast forward to 2008... 
Antique show on again, the same man there, but female figure was gone.  I inquired if she had gotten sold at the last show (or IF, he just did not bring her this time).  No -- she had been sold.  The guy remembered me, and said he only has the male left now (as I KICK MYSELF).  I hummed, and hawed about, mad at myself that I had not purchased them both last year.

This time, I was not thinking about it.  I did not care if it had a label or not, or that this was a bit more than I wanted to spend.  He knew I was in love with them last year.  We talked about his price (which was firm), but did come down quite a bit for me, almost $100 dollars less, but I still paid over a hundred dollars for the Male.

Moral of the story -- I know that somewhere out there around here -- in this prairie city, there is somebody that has the broken (but repaired) matched figurine for this male.  I will be searching.  I may contact the sellar -- just to see by chance, if he may have retained (or have) photos of what the female looked like.  For my knowledge, and the board....

God - last year I could have bought them both -- the set, but my ignorance because the female had been broken and repaired, I did not.  Now I have only the male....... 

But I WILL search for her around here, and ask the seller if he kept any records (names) of the buyer whom purchased the matched (repairer) female to this male...I will always be looking.  Maybe she will show up here at another Antique show, at a different seller's table. 

There is a big Antique show coming up at the END of the MONTH here.  I WILL BE LOOKING FOR HER, and hopefully find her there...... (:fingers_crossed:)

:hb2: :hb2: :hb2:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 12:50:10 AM »
HI Everyone,
From the label alone is very hard to tell.
I have seen the same shape label in old pieces and new pieces (in hanging lamps mostly).

I have seen a few dancer figures that look more like your piece than the 2 blue and white figures you showed in the link. Just looking at the ruffles up the leg and the ruffled base, I dont think it is a Fratelli Toso or Salviati piece.
As for a definite maker, I really do not know.

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »
Awww, Rose!  :hug:

It's a mistake we all make at one (or more!) time(s) in our collecting.  Many dealers have said to me when I'm hmming about whether to buy a piece or not, "It's the one's you DON'T buy that you regret later, never the ones you DO buy!"  And it's usually too true! 

Good luck with your search for your poor chap's lady-friend!  :-*
Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 06:37:46 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
Hey Ann,
If you look closely at the base of the figure it has a crimped rim all around the base.
That is what I thought was unusual, and didnt think it was an older piece because of it.

Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 04:07:40 PM »
Hi Javier, I see what you mean. When you say not an older piece, how old is old? I was looking at the writing on the label which if it's biro (ballpoint pen) has to date from after 1943, and realistically sometime from the 1950s given the retail price of ballpoints in the early days.  So would 1950s tie in with your feeling on Rose's piece, or are you feeling later still?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »
Hi Anne
I was going by what the bases on Barovier, Fratelli Toso, Salviati, and Venini pieces look like.
I have never seen a wavy (crimped) base like that, and with the fact that the label could be new also (have seen it on new lamps), that is why I say I thought it was a newer piece, not old. This is based in not having seen that base before. I am thinking maybe 70s as the oldest. Not set in stone of course.
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
Hi, I thought I would post a copy of extra pixs for this.  Any ideas...TIA

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 09:24:48 AM »
Hi, I just thought I would add this to my post in reguards to the swirled base of mine, and see what your opinions are.  Not only is the base of mine swirled.  The base of mine is sort of scalloped which is different -- but the base also has a small white edging around it which is different too.

Here is a *closer look* at the *white edging* on the base of my figurine...

I've then added two links here of figurines with swirled bases (not scalloped like mine though) but you will note the second example here has a small white edging around the base too, which is a bit unusual feature (I think) in the figurines.

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,pair-figurines-archimede,1456131.html  (swirled base)
http://www.goantiques.com/detail,pair-figurines-archimede,1456129.html  (swirled base w/white edging)

(Added):  P.S.  I have measured mine, and it is 10.5 inches tall approx.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand