No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Figure - On Swirled Base w/label  (Read 14909 times)

Bozo

Re: Glass Figure - On Swirled Base w/label
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 10:38:54 PM »
Looks like a Barovier figure from the thirties or forties.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:57:46 AM »
Fratelli Toso used this type of label. I have not seen it personally, but the Loschs have a label posted at http://www.the-loschs.com/sigitaly.htm

Does the bowl look like it could be FT, antiquerose?

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 02:00:21 AM »
I see the figure itself. My guess from the label would be Fratelli Toso. I haven't seen this figure before, but they did a lot of different things. I'm glad it still had a label.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 03:00:54 AM »
Thanks TxSilver:

I been googling around here some too.  I did note that some figures have like solid bases, not swirled ones.  So I googled that, and came up with this site:

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,rare-pair-salviati,1464777.html  (click other images to see the male)

In there it says something about a pat'd SALVIATI swirled base with gold flecks in the writeup.  Also (so far) this has been the only picture I have stumbled upon where on the legs - it has glass swirls going up to about the knees.

But, I am most likely wrong as usual, but I thought I would mention this site.....(??) and see if there were others makers that made figures with the swirled base, and legs.  :huh:

As for the label TxSilver....I am glad it still was there too.

Thxs

ADD:  I just went back, and reread that link myself.  I note mine has a "crimped leaf" at the base, the swirls (as mentioned above-on the legs), and the hat of mine has a little snapped off pontil mark on it, too.  What is anyone views on this comparsion?  All I was trying to do was find a murano figurine with a swirled base.  The link above dates those to around 1870 - 1910. :o   

Am I way off in left-field?  And how far?  :huh:  Or what?

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 04:40:37 AM »
Great site TxSilver....

Please note, this is not a bowl, but a figurine.  I have now posted this object under a NEW TOPIC of:  "Glass Figure - On Swirled Base w/label"

I did not post item here, as this topic post is a query of JUST A QUESTION.  So the label that goes with this figurine in under a new topic here, in which I did ask the MOD to combine (if, they so wish).

Also, I have been digging here too, or (trying) and have came up empty handed too.  The only place where I have found anything similiar: 

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/markt-z.htm

Title of label:   Compania di Venezia e Murano, Italy  about 12 items down.  A rectangle paper label, with the corners clipped, and scalloped some.  The notation there says:  Paper label late 19th C.

My label is only the same in shape, design, and material (paper).  The inside writing on the paper label *in the LINK is different*, but this is the only similar shape I have found, and is paper....

I am just guessing, with *key-words* every time I googled.....to see what comes up.

This alone, is just a GREAT TOPIC on old labels itself.    :thumbs_up:

thxs  ;)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 05:02:28 AM »

Site found:  Fratelli Toso, and Salviati with some history dates.                                                                   

:) click here-interesting  :)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »
Antiquerose, did you check the Losch site? It is the last label on the ninth row. Just click the link above.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 12:45:57 PM »
That Losch label in itself is no indication of much though, only that this brand of label was available in Italy. That one looks hand stamped

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »
Hi,

Yes TxSilver I did.  At first I missed it, but then looked again and saw it (row 9, last one).  Yes, to me it looks like a match.  The coloring, the shape, the design (line/space/then a dot).  So to me it looks the same, but I DO wear glasses...lol.

I also noted (only in reference to design border=the line/space/dot issue) on label in the 9th row.  On row 4 there is another label that has the line/space/dot border (shape is different).  I ONLY make reference due only to the border, not shape.  So there are two examples there with the line/space/dot border -- but row 9 seems to match right on.

Then on great-glass link shows JUST another example of a SHAPE similiar.

:huh: Did you look at the link (  http://www.goantiques.com/detail,rare-pair-salviati,1464777.html ) where it shows figures with a swirled base there, and says this was a pat'd design of SALVIATI ??

The label I have is in a bit better condition than example shown there.  This is good for us here on the GMB, as I will add to the gallery of labels.
 :)

QUESTION TO MOD'S:  Do you/should these two topics be combined.  This has been a GREAT TOPIC discussing paper labels, but (maybe) when reference to the label/figurine we are talking about -- maybe these should be combined.  I will leave it to your discreation.  Thxs.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »
Did Fratelli Toso make figures like this?  Does anyone have reference to links similiar to this?  In my googling, all I could find with a swirled base was the one on "Go Antiques" link above....that one there (in only my opinion) looks similar so much in style.(?)

Your opinions comparing the two, greatly appreciated..

Any other links of figurines with swirled bases that you know of?  Any examples of figures like this done by FT?

A bit confused here yet....but then I AM MOST days anyhow.......lol.

Thxs as always

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand