No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: '20th Century British Glass' by Charles Hajdamach  (Read 8417 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: '20th Century British Glass' by Charles Hajdamach
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 02:46:41 PM »
I picked up (as in held) a copy when I was in the V. & A. last week.    Not that I would buy a copy from there - too pricey by half, but was staggered at the heft and weight of the book.    This is going to be serious wrist/arm ache reading as Bernard said, although don't think I will chance dropping it in the bath.   As an amateur bookbinder of some years standing, my opinion is that the book is too large/heavy as a single volume, although I appreciate we all want the maximum information as soon as possible, and we don't like to wait.   I would far rather have had two volumes  -  whether breaking the century in two equal halves or whatever is unimportant  -  but almost anything to lessen the strain on the spine (of the book, not the reader, although on reflection it might be the other way round), and locating a reference in smaller books is always a lot easier.   All a case of economics in the world of printing and modern publishing I guess.    Suppose I could always re-bind the book in two parts - when I have the time (when I'm not collecting glass that is) ;)     I still don't actually have the book, might have to wait for it as a Christmas present.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: '20th Century British Glass' by Charles Hajdamach
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 07:11:10 AM »
Charles did tell me that they were considering a 2-volume set in a slip case, at some stage. Personally I agree that would have been a better approach.

Interesting to hear you do bookbinding. I may be in touch...
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand