No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: J Glass-John Deacons ID Info Needed  (Read 2247 times)

Offline rsts

• Members
J Glass-John Deacons ID Info Needed
« on: February 13, 2008, 12:36:11 AM »
This is one of the 'J' glass weights made by John Deacons.  It has the multi colored 1981 J signature cane on the underside. I believe each weight had an identification number and a name.  Can anyone provide the number and name for this 'J' glass weight.  Click on the link for a photo.
http://www.rstreasures.com/ebay//deacons/JD12160Hf.jpg

Thank you,
Ron
Florida Gulf Coast
USA
Razorback Country, AR, USA

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: J Glass-John Deacons ID Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:32:33 AM »
I can't be 100% sure, but I think another example of this weight was discussed in a mesage here back in 2006. That message has lost all its images but a reference to a design that the weight emulates (St Louis "circle of flowers") was given [Edith Mannoni's book Classic French Paperweights, p33].

From that info, it is summed up nicely by Allan Scott, the lampworker for that weight, in his response:
The weight ... was made by John Deacons and myself exclusively for Larry Selman .This one was named "Clematis Garland" and was in the 1981 collection.
As it was a Selman exclusive, it does not appear with the Jay Glass design number and name in the catalogue lists shown in the main paperweight books.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rsts

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:39:42 AM »
Thanks for the help Kev.  I looked up the reference in [Edith Mannoni's book Classic French Paperweights, p33] and I can see the similarities.
Your reply brings a couple other questions to my mind.  I also have a 'J' glass weight, the Garlanded Royal Primrose. It has a J signature cane for John Deacons and an A signature cane for Allan Scott.  Did this one have a J Glass design number?
I wonder what the determining factor was for having both signature canes in a weight and not the multi colored signature date cane.  Was the multi colored signature cane an exclusive for the Larry Selman deal?  Any idea as to how many designs were made using the J and the A cane?

Ron

Offline rsts

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 03:31:00 AM »
Kev.  After my last post I looked again at your reply.  This time my bifocals let me see your link to the 2006 reference.  I was able to bring up 3 of the first four pictures.  It is the same weight we are talking about.  I also saw an 'A' cane on the underside in one of the photos and then I checked my weight.  It too has the 'A' cane on the underside.  Once again these old bifocals failed me.

Ron

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:34:45 PM »
Hi,
   Ron, here are some images of the first brochure of Selman weights that we did in 1981.The use of the "A" cane came about as a result of a small "Discussion" John and I had concerning credit being given for my work.I can't remember how many weights were made with the two canes in but most of the limited designs from then on contained them.

Offline rsts

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
Thank you Allan for your help and the Selman brochure information.  I have some of his older brochures but none dating back that far. 
With the information I have learned about these weights from you and Kev it is decision time - do they stay on the shelf with other keepers or go on the sale table.  Time will tell.
I look forward to meeting you and Kev at Wheaton in May.  Stop buy my booth and say hello.
Ron

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand