No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MCG English Crystal any one heard of them?  (Read 17213 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: MCG English Crystal any one heard of them?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »
Sorry to come to this thread almost a year late, but I have just found it while searching the internet for information about MCG and I thought this information might usefully be added.

Firstly, I apologise for the quality of the photographs, as I didn't want to take everything out of the display cabinet where they live.  I also apologise for my lack of precision with regard to dates. 

During the 1970's, '80's and '90's my husband and I were blood donors and plasma and platelets donors. Obviously he donated more than me because I was having children during those years, but we both achieved enough donations to be awarded not just the standard Wedgwood plate for 100 donations but the crystal paperweights for 250 donations.  Indeed, my husband went on donating and was awarded a cut glass goblet for 500 donations.  I do not know who made or engraved the paperweights, but I assume them to be the same as the goblet, which bears on its foot a clear plastic label saying 'MCG English Handcut'. 

At some time during the 1990's the 'National Blood Transfusion Service' as it was then known, became the 'National Blood Service' and the logo was changed. This whole reorganisation was very controversial, particularly as 'private sector consultants' were involved in the changes.  Many plasma and platelets donors were 'laid off'.  In addition, cut-backs meant that by the time my DH reached a total of 750 donations the award was reduced to just a small cut glass tumbler.  These were now made and engraved by Edinburgh Crystal.

I don't remember the exact dates, but I thought it might be useful for people to see the pictures, including the MCG label.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/MCG_Goblet_and_paperweights.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/MCG_label_on_goblet_foot.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Edinburgh_Crystal_tumbler.jpg 

I hope this is of some interest to members.
Leni

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »
Leni,
of great interest to me in particular, i suffer from Haemophilia, and have been having Plasma and
Blood products for all of my 48 years!
So, a great big Thankyou to you and your Husband for your wonderful contributions,
 :hug:

Maybe its from you i got my interest and love of glass  ;D

Thanks !   :fwr:   :fwr:  :fwr:

Cheers,
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »
...and factory/office in Kensington
and Holland Park, sounds very posh!

The area they were in is known as 'The Potteries' to the locals as that was where many used to be located and several of the old pottery buildings still exist. Often as architects offices or very pricey homes today.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »
Saw these today black brandy glasses

Offline mercia man

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • metropolitan glass
    • lincolnshire U.K.
Re: MCG - Metropolitan Crystal Glass Works Ltd
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »
Metropolitan Chrystal Glass was not located at Holland Park as some of the posts seem to think but were at Dalston Gardens off Honeypot Lane, Queensbury NW9. They were there until 2005 when they went in to administration.I know this because I lived nearby and used to buy their glass ware on a regular basis as presents for family.I also have a large collection myself along with receipts.They used to import the glassware and engrave it on site,I have occasionally see it used on TV programmes as props. There was a shop on their factory premises.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 02:08:50 AM »
Hi mercia man, and welcome to the board. Thank you for updating this older topic for us - we do like new information that helps us understand more about these defunct glassmakers. 

There is a labelled MCG carafe or vase here on eBay with a page from the catalogue shown with it. The catalogue has, helpfully, the pattern name of the item plus confirms the address as indicated by mercia man above, i.e. Metropolitan Crystal Glass Works Ltd., 14 Dalston Gardens, Honeypot Lane, Stanmore, Middlesex. HA7 1BW Tel: 01-204 0123
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 07:27:08 AM »
It is entirely possible that MCG moved from Holland Park to Stanmore. They were in business for 50 years...

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 03:42:52 PM »
Indeed it is Christine, Frank gives his references for that address as between 1959-1963 so they perhaps started out there and moved later to Stanmore.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 05:00:18 PM »
Just to add...

The '57 directory has them listed under manufacturers, not decorators, for "hand-cut glass tableware in traditional and contemporary styles".
The '58 directory also has them listed under manufacturers for "decanters; fruit sets; grapefruits; rose bowls; salad bowls; sundae glasses; trinket sets; tumblers; vases; water sets; wine suites."

With the factory address given in Pottery Lane for both.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 12:49:28 AM »
CMOG Rakow Library catalogue gives an entry for them here (no image of it sadly)
https://www.cmog.org/library/jewel-cut-tablewear-metropolitan?search=library_collection%3Ab20b8b561caaaef2d9288f2e7ddb3364&page=18

Jewel cut tablewear [sic] by Metropolitan.
AUTHOR/ARTIST Metropolitan Crystal Glass Works Ltd.
PUBLISHED IN  Pottery Gazette and Glass Trade Review July 1967, pp. 699
CONTENTS  Advertisement features crystal glassware: eton, capri, ambassador, and the melrose.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand