No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gillinder or Old English? Help needed  (Read 2173 times)

Offline alexander

• Members
Gillinder or Old English? Help needed
« on: February 18, 2008, 02:30:20 PM »
Hi, this one came to me from the US, at first I thought "Old English", when it arrived I became uncertain,
as I can't find any cane matches to other OE's. So now I'm wondering if it may be a US made Gillinder weight.

It's a small weight as far as OE weights go, a little over 2.5".
Concave, polished, base. Canes set up in a typical OE fashion with a porthole at the base.
Also typical OE colors and cane style.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Gillinder or Old English? Help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:31:58 PM »
Hi Alexander

I cannot match it specifically to any OE maker, and the white canes do look similar to those in Gillinder weights.  So as it came from the US, I would think Gillinder is a strong possibility - and as he learned his trade in England, the style would be OE.  I don't know what colours appear in Gillinder weights though.

Any idea of the SG?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:58:59 AM »
No ideas on SG - how do you suggest I go about measuring?
If I am to measure I'd like to use the same methodology as you so that our results would
be comparable.

Bob Hall's OE book mentions some Gillinder weights with pictures, so I will probably settle for "Attributed to WTG"
for the moment. It lives alongside my other OE weights even tho it should probably be in the US section  ;) 

After I posted this I discovered a NEGC weight with what looked like a typical OE style cane,
item 230225297544 (which I think I should have bid on in retrospect). Undeniably NEGC
with the eagle and the pontil, the two cranberry/white canes at 3 o'clock and 8.30
look very OE to me so I was suprprised to see them there.

Alexander

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:38:46 PM »
An interesting development.
I received the Selman catalogue yesterday, the spring auction 2008.

On page 16 they have a weight from the Alschuler collection whose canes match this weight.
It is identified as Gillinder and Sons  :)

So I'm pretty comfortable with this being id'ed as Gillinder.
On a personal note I suspect the old man himself, mostly based on the Gillinder weights showed in Bob Hall's book.
Alexander

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:11:48 AM »
Hi Alexander

It may well be a Gillinder weight, but do remember that both Selman and Bob Hall make mistakes!

At least a dozen weights in the Bacchus chapter of Bob's book are not Bacchus, for example.....and Larry Selman keeps on referring to '1848' Arculus weights as 'Antique Whitefriars'.

Regards

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:32:15 AM »
Hehe - my pet peeve re Selman - you'd think they'd catch on about those "antique Whitefriars" weights.
There is one in the most recent catalogue.

One reason I do give this attribution more weight is that it is being sold from a collection put together by serious collectors.

I would like to see more samples of Gillinder's millefiori work tho, the books I have don't show
very much detail of the mf, but the turtles etc get a mention everywhere.
Alexander

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand