No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not really a Caithness paperweight ...  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Not really a Caithness paperweight ...
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:00:22 AM »
This was sold to me as a Caithness paperweight, but it isn't really.  It's a wonderful piece of engraved glass, by Helen MacDonald!  :D   

I know Helen originally went to work at Caithness as a glass engraver, but I admit I've never seen any of her work other than paperweights before.  This is marked on the base 'Caithness Scotland' and on the front 'Helen MacDonald 87'.  It's 4 inches high and tapers from 1 and 1/2 inches at the base to 3/4 inch at the top.  The image is engraved into the back of the glass, and the bride's bouquet is made of millefiori canes, pressed into the glass!  I love the way the brown textured surface makes it look like an old sepia photograph!  Brilliant! :clap:

Does anyone know anything about this piece?  (Or anything else like it?)  Would it have been a one-off, or a limited edition?  There is no number anywhere on it, but I can't imagine it being an 'unlimited'!  :o  It's just stunning!

Leni

Offline Helen MacDonald

• Members
Re: Not really a Caithness paperweight ...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:54:22 PM »
Hi Leni

I'm glad that you liked it  :). This was not a one off piece but we did not make very many as they were quite time consuming to engrave.
There were a few designs in this style made at that time, they were called 'Krystals' three of them were engraved with cats, called Playful, Boutiful and I think... Hopeful? There were also some slightly smaller pieces engraved with birds & animals. I liked these as they showed  the engraving very well but they were not as popular as traditional pwt shapes. I remember engraving one of these wedding Krystals with a kilted groom.

All the best
Helen

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 03:29:22 PM »
Hello, Helen! :D How lovely of you to post and tell us all about this!  Thank you  :clap: 

I'd love to see the other 'Krystals' if you have any pictures of them - I'd specially love to see that kilted groom, as two of my sons got married wearing kilts  ;) :D

Leni

Offline Helen MacDonald

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:29:15 AM »
Hi Leni

Sorry but since my redundency from Caithness I don't have access to the archives anymore. Iwill look to see if I have any photos at home, but I'm not hopeful. I know that i don't have any photos of the kilted piece as I engraved them for friends weddings.
If I do find any photos I will download them for you.

All the best.

Helen

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »
Hi Helen, and welcome.

I was so sorry to hear about the closure and redundencies at Caithness, i do hope we see your talent employed elsewhere soon.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
Hi Helen and all,
If you dont mind me asking in such a public forum, what are your current plans, as many members would like access to your work in the future!
Kind regards,
KarelM
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »
Leni

There is an old topic at t'other place
here
This includes a brochure page, and a photograph of my "Edinburgh" example, and some comments from Alan Scott.
The wedding scene is interesting in that like mine, it also uses canes within the design, which from the brochure examples, seems to be rare
Martin

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »
Thanks, for the link Martin, but for personal reasons I don't go 'there' any more.  I would really love to see your 'Edinburgh' example though, if you would be so kind as to post the picture here!  :D
Leni

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:34:45 PM »
No problem

Martin

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »
Thank you  :)  Very pretty!  :clap: 
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand