No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not really a Caithness paperweight ...  (Read 4640 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
Re: Not really a Caithness paperweight ...
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 03:11:39 PM »
I refer to this as an Edinburgh because it has a E cane (the one above the birds head).

However this was not an "Edinburgh" weight as previously explained by Allan Scott 
For completeness I quote Allan's comments (I am sure he won't mind!!)

Really sorry that I haven't been paying attention to this topic.I can add a little info on Martins weight.The weight was made at Caithness as a trail piece,common practice is to use what we in the Lampwork room call the "scrap jar" of canes to do a first sample.This is just what the name suggests;a jar made up of all the remnants of canes that we use for different designs.Normally these are used for abstract weights that require scattered millefioriof mixed colours.The pink bundled cane in the weight is one that was used in the american express special commission "Mini Butterfly" in the 80s.The "E" cane must of found its way into the jar and was used without being noticed as the Edinburgh canes were only for the Edinburgh range of Millefiori and Lampwork designs.
I spoke to Helen MacDonald and she has told me that there were follow up designs to the Krystals which included 3 cat ones,Playful,Bountiful and another that she can't remember the name of.There was also a wedding design,she says sorry that she can't remember the details any better

I would guess that this may have been one of the "bird" examples that Helen recalls above

I also attach the brochure extract that was in the other thread. Again I hope nobody minds but there are people who do not visit both places.

Martin

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Not really a Caithness paperweight ...
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 04:47:17 PM »
Martin, thank you very much for that!  :hug:
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand