No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ebay vase  (Read 2839 times)

Sklounion

Ebay vase
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »
Hi, could one of you, seriously more knowledgeable about Scandinavian glass, have a look at this live action? eBay item number: 350028511731
Is it really Strombergshyttan, an f so what the serial/production number means, with date if possible... If any other glassworks, same applies.
I have no connection with the seller, and will not be bidding

Thanks in advance,
Marcus

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Ebay vase
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:13:46 PM »
Hi Marcus, to save everybody looking for an F on the  vase i believe you meant and if .Regards Jph

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 10:31:27 PM »
Sorry, did not spell check... as suggested "and if" is what I meant to write...
Thanks,
Marcus

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:54:36 AM »
Marcus:

The Strombergshyttan code consists of a letter and number for both the engraving and the design. B is vase, A is plate, E is Carafe, and T is bowl. The numbers for design don't go above 974. The numbers on this vase don't seem right. I've seen little Strombergshyttan pieces with only a label, but, when they're numbered, they also have the company name engraved on them. Doesn't look very much like Strombergshyttan, but it's not a great picture.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
Thanks, David,
So does anyone have any suggestions as to who the real maker is?
TIA,
Marcus

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »
Marcus:

Looking at the vase again this morning in the light of a new day, I was reminded that often people seem to mistake the B on Stromberg vases for numbers. For example, I checked current eBay listings and this happened with item 360024667756. So on the piece you mention , if the "16" at the beginning is a "B" (and I've seen it before) it would be a vase from the mid to late fifties. That's as accurate as you can get with the Stromberg system. It's tough enough identifying when you have the right numbers!

What made me think again on the piece, besides the possibility of error reading the numbers, was the thickness of glass, the hint of blue at the top right (despite the brown background), and the nice work on the engraving. The numbering doesn't conform to Orrefors system, either, BTW. I wonder if anybody with a copy of Ricke's "Swedish Glass Factories" or lots of Strombergshyttan glass would recognize it?

Sorry, I don't seem to be helping too much.

David

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand