No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink Pressed Bowl With Grapevine Pattern & Chrome Rim 1930s  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Pink Pressed Bowl With Grapevine Pattern & Chrome Rim 1930s
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:36:58 PM »
Just Received this beautiful pressed glass bowl. The design features grapevines running around the outside with bunches of grapes in high relief forming supports for the bowl.

I'm hoping that someone can identify the pattern as it has me completely stumped. The colour and feel are very Jobling-y, though I can't find it in Baker & Crowe.

Dimensions are approx. 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter by 3 inches (7.5 cm) tall.

The bowl is mounted with a chrome plated rim stamped 'Made in England'. The moulding is very well detailed. At first glance I thought the pattern was a three part repeat but in fact each leaf and bunch of grapes are different, showing the design to have been modelled in full.

Thanks
Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Pink Pressed Bowl With Grapevine Pattern & Chrome Rim 1930s
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Steven, could it be from the same source as Harriet's mystery grape/vine bowl we looked at recently? We wondered about Etling for that one: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19359.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »
It has some similarities with Harriet's bowl, though the mould is different there are some similarities in the modelling, it is hard to judge without having both side by side for comparison.

I am fairly certain this bowl is not Etling/ Choisy-le-Roi. Siegmar Geiselberger thinks it is likely to be British in origin and I tend to agree. Closest pieces I've found in terms of finish and feel are my Jobling small rose bowl and 2602 Bird bowl.

I was hoping the metal rim might prove to be a useful lead, It seems to have been on the bowl since new.I've had a few pieces with similar rims in the past, including a cupped Jobling Oyster shell bowl, but I am not so familiar with makers of these metal mounts so don't really know where to start.

I suspect this is going to remain a mystery until any catalogues or other literature comes to light.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:11:47 AM »
Steven, we have an archived topic where some of the metal parts makers were discussed.  See topic here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1101.0.html - incidentally, I have a Chance pressed glass bowl with the same sort of rim to it.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:09:18 AM »
Steven — There is a gap in our knowledge of Jobling's 1930s glass that makes it quite possible that your bowl is Jobling.   Specifically we have almost no knowledge of their 1938 and 1939 designs, other than that two or three rarities have emerged in recent years that are definitely Jobling and seem to fit this late pre-war time frame.   This doesn't help much, but it does fit my belief that more Jobling patterns will emerge.

On the other hand Birmingham metalbashers had a long tradition of sourcing the quality of glass they required at the right price from more or less anywhere in Europe.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:51:18 AM »
Thank you Bernard. I do have a suspicion it is Jobling, though obviously cannot be sure. The colour is seemingly an exact match for my pink 2606 bird bowl.

other than that two or three rarities have emerged in recent years that are definitely Jobling
May I ask which patterns you are referring to? As a Jobling collector I am always interested to hear about newly found patterns.

I was also wondering if you had had any further thoughts on the amber bowl discussed here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4502.0.html  I ask because I've recently found another bowl with the same dimensions and same 'British Make' mark but in a different patter and in Uranium green glass. The colour seems closer to Bagley pieces though. I will update the thread shortly.

Thanks,
Steven

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »
Just noticed an error in my previous post: I of course meant 2602 Bird bowl, not 2606.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 08:05:50 AM »
Just found this Etling 152 bowl on ebay here. So maybe I was wrong to jump to conclusions about it not being Choisy le Roi  :-[

The pattern is an exact match for my pink bowl. However, my pink bowl is not marked and has an English metal rim. My best guess is that the bowl may have been produced by Choisy le Roi after the demise of Etling and the rim added by an importer but this is just speculation at this point. Of course, it could be a copy by another firm, but does appear to have come from an identical mould.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand