No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual paul ysart butterfly weight  (Read 3288 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
unusual paul ysart butterfly weight
« on: February 23, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »
got  this one this morning, it measures 2.75" across and just under 2" high, it has a dark grey tinge to the glass, canes and the butterfly are set on a very dark mottled ground, but I've looked every where for a butterfly like this, all the one's I've found have canes for the wings,  this one has gold aventurine, there's no PY canes hidden

click on image

[Mod: As at Aug 2011, the photobucket links point either to "no image" lovators or to genuine, but unrelated photos. Therefore, all links have now been removed.]
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: unusual paul ysart butterfly weight
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »
There other cases of using aventurine in this way, unfortunately not so easy to see in the pics on my site. Once I move those weights to Scotland's glass much larger images will show this better.

PY2006 dragonfly, aventurine (green) wings http://www.ysartglass.com/PaulYsart/PYP2001.htm

PY1006 fish, aventurine fins http://www.ysartglass.com/PaulYsart/PYP1001.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:43:37 PM »
More likely one of Salvador's varied butterfly weights.

I don't think I have an example of the lighter coloured cane, but the other one is found in my "Mixed Concentric" weight (which I believe may have been made by Vincent at Vasart Ltd., but could conceivably have been made later). The actual cane match I have is No 08 in the set shown in this link.

There are several other points which indicate to me that it is Salvador's work.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »
thanks Kev, never tought of Salvador
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »
Note the two adjacent identical canes top right in a garland of otherwise alternate canes! That's one of the reasons for it not being by Paul.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »
i noticed that Kev, but i thought it was a mistake with the placing of the canes
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »
If Paul Ysart made a mistake - he would have binned it (except perhaps in rare circumstances where there was a "good" reason not to).

Another pointer is that the canes in the garland look like they are squashed together. In Paul's work, when canes were set close to each to each other, they still retained their individual "roundness".
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:38:30 PM »
(except perhaps in rare circumstances where there was a "good" reason not to).

Like when he threw it across the studio, it bounced and an assistant pocketed it  ;)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
Note the two adjacent identical canes top right in a garland of otherwise alternate canes! That's one of the reasons for it not being by Paul.

and ...
If Paul Ysart made a mistake - he would have binned it (except perhaps in rare circumstances where there was a "good" reason not to).

Please note that, as at Aug 2011, I can say for certain that my earlier thoughts are proved partially wrong. In fact, had I remembered this thread a couple of years ago, I could have mentioned then that I had photographed a genuine Paul Ysart "flowerhead in double garland" weight, of 1930s period, in which the outer canes were alternating "two and one" - but one of the "two" groups has only one cane!! The double garland would otherwise have been identical (even to the same canes in the same positions) to that in my butterfly weight shown as Row 1, Col 3. So Paul did let an occasional mistake through. But I bet there aren't many to be found.

However, although we can no longer see Ray's images, I still stand by my comments that his weight had features indicating Salvdor's work, not Paul's. :)
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand