No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venetian Rose Bowl  (Read 10170 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Venetian Rose Bowl
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »
Shandiane, you are welcome to use the pictures. I am working on a couple of other pieces right now (probably Rindskopf), so I haven't been able to do much more on the rose bowl. The negative blacklight test may say a lot about what the glass is. From the little I read, the Gunderson and Mount Washington pieces will have a positive blacklight test. I don't know if this is true, though, because the sources were not experts.

Thanks for your help!
Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 07:28:33 AM »
Hi Anita,
thanks for posting the photo of the cherry cruet, & mentioning that it is by Fratelli Toso, that is very interesting to find out. I happen have a big basket in the very same style, purchased on Ebay just over a year ago.
The negative blacklight test rules it out as true Burmese, so "Burmese like" is a reasonable description.
Real Burmese, whether the Victorian originals by Webb & Mt Washington, or the more recent Fenton items, contain uranium, thus producing a green glow under the blacklight.
The texture is another tell-tale area. Victorian era Burmese (the satin finished type) & other satin glass, has an incredibly silky smooth texture. It was created by applying "white acid" to the item.
Later satin finish glass, dating from the mid 20th century like this rose bowl (& the Fenton Burmese item you had) received their texture from sandblasting rather than acid. This is why the texture is somewhat slightly granular, like the surface of unglazed clay, as you previously mentioned.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 04:12:37 PM »
Heartofglass, thank you for the information about burmese and blacklight. I never know how much credence to give to things written on eBay, especially when the people write they are not experts. The vase may be lattimo colored to resemble Burmese or clay. If it is, Venetian is probably a very good guess for it.

I have had several of the applied cherry pieces like the cruet. Most of them have had KB Import labels on them. KB handled FT and some other companies, so I wasn't sure about the attribution. Then I ran across two pieces in the series -- a paperweight and a small vase -- that had the Fratelli Toso label. It is nice to find pieces with a definite label. Assuming no one else copied the look, the satinized cherry pieces are probably all made by FT. They made several types of cruets with 1960s designs. I suspect that the cherry series was made during this period. It was a productive time for FT. I'm glad the picture helped.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 04:31:13 PM »
It's NOT a Fenton piece. I agree that "mid-1960s Italian" is the likely answer, but the sources I need to check are not at hand until Monday.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 04:44:30 PM »
I found the same rose bowl when I was looking for something else. It is Artfact Lot 1581, http://www.artfact.com/catalog/viewLot.cfm?lotCode=1WFWQR9R. It is not attributed and is called peachblow. I don't subscribe to Artfact, so wasn't able to look beyond the opening page without giving my credit card number.

Is Artfact a good site? I wondered if it was worth the subscription price or would the information be redundant to other things available online.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 05:12:28 PM »
You can go to the original source (Dargate Auctions). I don't see the price realized, but it had an estimate of 200-300. Lot number 1581 here:

http://www.dargate.com/248_auction/248_images/248glass.htm
Shannon

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »
$20 dollars a month for the lowest level strikes me as a bit high but the others charge up to $70 a month. There are various free auction alert services but presumably this one archives the catalogues from larger auction houses - if you only buy in the high-end market it is probably useful but much of that data, less conveniently, can be found googling and that covers all on-line auctions. Try their Free trial offer. Another $35 a month brings you a newsletter.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 08:27:33 PM »
Thanks for the closeup and info, Shannon. You really know how to use the online resources! You need a roommate?  ;D Just kidding, don't worry.

Now for a surprise -- one that I really expected, to tell the truth. It is my rose bowl in the Dargate auction. The bowl in the auction has the same black spot and leftover glass strings between leaves as mine. The clencher is that my bowl has two nicely repaired leaves and one missing flower. One of these repairs is visible on the leaf farthest to the left. (I know what to look for, so can pick it out. The other repair and missing petal are on the other side, where we can't see them.)

The auction gives me a good idea of what it would be worth if undamaged. I often wonder, however, how someone estimates a value if they do not know what they have. I'll have to find a way to tell if it is peachblow. I guess it doesn't really matter, but my curiosity is up.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand