No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 18th and 19th century drinking glasses  (Read 6655 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ming

• Members
Re: 18th and 19th century drinking glasses
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 03:43:05 AM »
Josordoni
There is a good reference book on old glasses. Lot of photos from 1700 to modern day. Easy to obtain from any big book shops such as Borders, Waterstone. (Miller's Buyer's Guide -Glass) for £20.
 Here is a web site you can find some details on 18th c glass.
 http://www.georgianglass.com/
When l looking for old glasses first l check is the base. If you find it has a rough pontil mark it means (1. 18thc) (2. Reproduction). For 19thc drinking glass the pontil mark was grounded away.
May be you can  include a few of you best glasses photos. Then we might be able to help.
Never walk away from a bargain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 06:23:31 AM »
Hi Ming, thank you for your help,  yes, I will show some of them here shortly, and see what the expert view is.

and thank you especially for that site - the articles are fascinating!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »
Hi Lynne, this may help too   http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/index.asp

But i also have a very old book "Early English Glass" by Daisy Wilmer with lots of information and pictures, dated 1911.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »
Wilmer's book and a lot of the early English books are probably mostly too early and only few cover 19th century, if your lot spans 19-20th century. But it is available very cheaply.

Biblio entry:

Wilmer, Daisy (1910), "Early English Glass - A Guide for Collectors of Table and Other Decorative Glass of the 16th, 17th and 18th Centuries": 282 pages 158 b/w.

Abstract:
Description of each item shown. 3rd Edition gives auction prices to 1910 and additional photographs. - Duncan Number: 14805. Editions/printings: 2nd 1911, 3rd edition Bazaar Exchange & Mart 1918 & 1925.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »
Well my Bickerton arrived today... flipping heck... what a lot of glasses!!

I may have to ask some questions..... ::)
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 11:18:57 AM »
I've popped a link to the shop in the Marketplace..

easiest thing for me to do is for me to list them and anyone finds any anomalies then let me know and I'll adjust accordingly.

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline 18thCGlass

• Members
  • 17th, 18th & 19th Century Glass
    • Cotswold Antiques and Glass
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 11:46:16 AM »
The Bickerton book is great but be aware that, as "An "Illustrated Guide", most of it is simply photographs (alebiet very good ones) and basic descriptions of each glass.

A couple of other "classic" books that you might still find are:
- Glass through the ages by E. Barrington Haynes, first publsihed 1948, revised 1959

Hi Lynne

The two books mentioned above by KevH are the only two 'must haves' for an overview on Georgian drinking glasses. I see you have Bickerton; which is a great book to drool over; and though as Kev mentions it is mainly photo's, the bibliography supporting it is immense, you can therefore rely on the dating of each of the glasses illustrated. Make sure you buy the revised edition of Barrington Haynes as BH made mistakes in the first edition and corrected them in the revised edition. Its a very factual book and was the first attempt by any author to categorise all Georgian glasses by stem type and that classification system is still in use today. The Georgian glass collectors 'bible'; but a bit of a dry read! Usefull at bedtime to help you nod off! You can usually pick a copy up on eBay for <£5 delivered. Be wary of any early printed books on the subject; before around the middle of the 20th C; as a lot are very inaccurate. There are however various antiquarian books on the subject that are good that date from the late 19th/early 20th C; but the cost of good copies is prohibitive and you are probably better off buying a good air or opaque twist instead!

Trev.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand