No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Decanter  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Ann2005

• Members
Orrefors Decanter
« on: July 15, 2005, 07:08:44 PM »
Hi, Ive tried and tried to post a picture and I just can't make it work. So, This is what I have ... a round () crystal decanter 10" high including Round O, stopper with Initials and numbers 558 on the bottom. Ive seen older Orrefors vases that look like this glass but Ive never seen a decanter. The glass looks as if it three rows of waves of glass going around the lower 3/4th of the bottle.  I will send you pictures just email me. krau594926@aol.com
Thank you, Karen
aren

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Orrefors decanter
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 01:28:35 PM »
Your decanter sounds like it was from the early 1930's.
The initials will be G, H or L for the three designers there.
Gate, Hald or Lindstrand
The wave in the glass was used during this period.
The numbering system was changed in 1935 where all
glass forms followed a sequence starting with 1400.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Orresfors Decanter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 01:06:49 AM »
Hi Karen,

I think from your description that this is in fact a decanter by another Swedish firm, Kosta.

The number 558 is a re-issued design by Elis Bergh from the 1930's that was re- introduced in 1959. The three rows of waves are in fact internal (that is on the inner surface) horizontal ribs. The stopper should also be solid sphere and peg, not hollow.

I believe you will see a sort of indistiguishable incised mark prior to the number that might approximate a "4" or a "K", which should clinch the deal!

Kind regards, Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand