No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Swan- Inside Pearlized Satin Red on Swirled Base  (Read 4901 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Glass Swan- Inside Pearlized Satin Red on Swirled Base
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:59:43 AM »
I also bought this today, and was wondering IF anyone can tell me about this. Believe it to be a Swan, and the inside red color seems to be Pearlized, satin color.  It is on a swirled base.

Anyone have any info on this at all - maker, and age.....etc.  TIA.
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: Glass Swan- Inside Pearlized Satin Red on Swirled Base
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:32:35 AM »
** Bump from 2008 **   had No replies....So trying again... :spls:  Murano, Venetian, or Nothing?  Thxs

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:47:33 PM »
Looks Murano in origin to me.

tam bam 

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:13:45 AM »
Antiquerose: I have seen this iridescence, I think it is called, before on a red/gold vase by Seguso Vetri de Arts that a friend of mine owns. Yours is an absolutely stunning colour and appears to be very well made.

Hope you get to ID it as it looks like a piece by a master. If I had to guess I would say Barbini but my thoughts are often off with the pixies.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:47:42 AM »
I'm with Tam Bam, as I don't see the iridescence. If it's on the inside layer of glass that would rule out iridescence, wouldn't it?  It looks as if there might be some gold there, though.

Why Barbini, Ardy?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »
Hi David I was looking at some pieces in the USA and there was a duck that appeared somewhat similar in execution but the head was not joined like this one and the colour was different. Apart from this they were identical.   :X:

Saw a heart shaped piece of jewellery here http://www.muranoworks.com/acatalog/Glassware.html I thought the colour was a bit similar. Still I am colour blind so don't laugh too much.

Still at least it has got the discussion underway.

regards

Ardy

Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »
Saw this in the completed ebay section 270615916816 although this is Green it seems to be in a similar vein to yours.

regards
Archimede tops my list.

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:57:08 PM »
Saw this in the completed ebay section 270615916816 although this is Green it seems to be in a similar vein to yours.

regards

Similar vein yes but on the linked-to bird the base is different, the work on the head seems different, the beak and tail are amber.  I think the one in the link reminds me of Seguso although not attributed there.  

I don't know that I see iridescence on Rose's piece either.  At first I thought I was seeing something like the color shimmer of dichrioc glass which would be more recent work  bit it's probably some metalic gold in the red glass.  Would be cool to see a good close up of that layer.

For what it's worth I'm a good bit color deficient too but only certain colors cause problems, for example I have a devil of a time trying to find a day-glo orange golf ball on a green fairway.  
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 12:22:47 AM »
It is impossible for me to see an off white against green. Day glo orange is perfect for me. I am P7 colour blind evidently you start at A1 and work down.

I agree a close up view of this might help. I don't put much faith in bases as they seem to be similar across many makers and I wonder if they buy them in pre-made unless it is a special piece?
Archimede tops my list.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
Hi there:
I will take a close up as soon as possible of the shimmering red inside. 

In the meantime, I ran across this link HERE .  Now I am only referring to this link due to the swirled and twisted base on the one there.  It looks much the same as mine.  Not saying that is the maker, as I guess (as stated here) that piece was made in 3 pieces.....so it is possible that *another* glass maker made the base, while the other was working on the other section ???  maybe.

Anyways, I thought I would add this here -- merely for my Swan twisted/swirled base as to the one in the link....Hope that is OK.  Will get a close up of the shimmering red later to post...

;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand