No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Viking plaque  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Madbrit

• Members
  • West German Pottery, & Scandinavian Glass
Viking plaque
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:12:38 PM »
I found this piece yesterday, the one on the left, a Viking a boat in frosted glass at the rear and clear glass on the front, has anyone any ideas about its origins? ps i know the goat is a flat back kosta goat.....
Text and images © Kevin Graham

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Viking plaque
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:44:09 PM »
I'm almost 80% certain it is a Nybro viking.

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:35:34 PM »
I'm less sure than that IVO.
It doesn't have the feel or the look of Nybro to me, nor is it in the Nybro catalogues I have. I would be more inclined to go for Scancrystal from Estonia. I was there several years ago, just after the collapse of the Soviet Union  and they were looking for themes which would appeal in Scandinavia. We suggested Vikings, the Little Mermaid etc. Now I can't remember the exact details of their prototypes but I do remember that they were very "diffuse" and at that time,  not very well executed. ( Sorry Kev)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 07:56:06 PM »
Good info - I'd never even heard of Scancrystal, so I assume it is a really tiny outfit.
I checked my cast Nybro items (they will not upload right now because they are too big) and can confirm they are of very dubious quality - shockingly so. But I also found this horrid item from Reijmyre. You can see where my 80% comes from.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 08:04:53 PM »
STOP PRESS. I just discovered a cast crystal item of even less quality. The blurred image could be a fir tree, or a pagoda, or a wooden church (take your pick), and it has the same coursely frosted ground as the item at issue.
This one has a foil sticker which reads:
B.F.Norge
Design: Eda Krystall

picture may follow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand