No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Art Glass - A Collector's Guide  (Read 8846 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Jobling Art Glass - A Collector's Guide
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »
Jobling Art Glass - A Collector's Guide
A Pressed Glass Collectors Club Publication
Private Publication, No Date

I have a copy of this book, I bought it some time ago before acquiring the superior Baker & Crowe.

The Pressed Glass Club book may be useful for identifying Jobling patterns if you have no other reference as it has illustrations of all the catalogued items with the exception of the Fox and hart Salts. However, I do not strongly recommend the book as it has no references/ bibliography. The list of registered designs/ Franckhauser attributions appears to have been sourced from Baker & Crowe, as do the illustrations of non catalogued items.  Also, many of the illustrations are scans from the original catalogues, reduced in size and in some cases tinted, rendering them less clear, though still recogniseable.

If you are interested in Jobling I would recommend A Collector's Guide to Jobling 1930s Decorative Glass by John Baker & Kate Crowe, published in 1985 by Tyne & Wear County Council Musuems, ISBN 0 905974255. It is a much more thoroughly researched work and is considered the standard reference for Jobling glass & while it is now hard to find & expensive (I paid £35.00 for my copy), your library should be able to arrange an inter library loan. Copies occaisionally turn up on ebay or second hand book shops (I found my copy through a second hand book dealer trading through amazon).

I believe the 1934 Jobling catalogue is also available for purchase on CD from Siegmar Geiselberger at www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de and i have a gallery of some of the Jobling patterns here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=56

Steven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand