Author Topic: When is a crown a crown?  (Read 31 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
When is a crown a crown?
« on: Today at 07:26:47 AM »
This is probably a dumb question.

Does a paperweight have to have a center millefiori center top, to be considered a "crown"?

Or can I (reasonably) call any latticino that has vertical straight or spiral zanfirico or reticelo canes that come together at the center top, even without the millefiori center, a crown?

When I check definitions, they generally include the murine in the center.
Bob Kegeles

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • My Paperweights Website
Re: When is a crown a crown?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:36:20 AM »

Hi.  I don't think there is any categoric answer to your question. Different people might well have different opinions, and there is no single absolute authority on paperweight terms - just 'common usage', which can vary from country to country!

For me, the key points of a crown are that there is a broadly spherical structure made of parallel staves (which may remain straight or be made with some twist).  The millefiori cane on top is just a practical means of hiding the join - but can add to the overall attractiveness if chosen carefully.  The Murano paperweights that are ovoid, with a loose latticino spiral, would not count as crowns for me, for example.

I have attached images of two paperweights from my 'Murano project' pages, which - to me - are a crown, with a millefiori centre, and a spiral.  Others may not agree!

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: When is a crown a crown?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:48:58 AM »
Hi Bob,

'What constitutes a crown?' Good question. I must admit I have never asked myself that but I agree with Alan's definition.

IMHO, I do not think that there needs to be a millefiori 'to crown the weight' so as to make it a crown: it can have a bubble, a lamp work (flowers are quite common) or nothing at all.

I have attached pictures of three crowns that show the various options that I mentioned above (although the crown by Eugenio Ferro is their take on the idea and may not be regarded as an example of a classic crown).

I'd be interested to see what people think.

SophieB

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com