No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: what is this vaseline glass pot - ID = Islington Glass Works, Birmingham  (Read 107 times)

Offline createdbear

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Hello, can any of the members shed some light on this item please. I am not sure what its use is. There's no lid and I don't now whether it would have had one. Anyone now a maker at all? It gives a superb glow under UV. No reg no or mars at all. Height is 2 and 3/4 inches and total width is 5 inches. Quite weighty too. Than you as always for any help.

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: what is this vaseline glass pot please?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 07:21:17 AM »
It's a late 1840s honey pot missing the lid, by Rice Harris of the Islington Glass Works, Birmingham.

Offline createdbear

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Re: what is this vaseline glass pot please?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 07:48:40 PM »
Thank you Neil for the info. Oddly, I was reading about the Islington Glass works off Broad St in Brum a few days ago but I can't remember what led me to read about it. A mystery solved, thanks again.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
neilh is there a reference somewhere for it being Rice Harris and late 1840s? (obviously just curious as uranium glass late 1840s re v the V&A bowl)

Also curious as to how it fits with this info I found online as Rice Harris being bankrupt 4 October 1842.  I looked it up -

See page 185
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Bankrupt_Directory/LZIDAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=rice+Harris+bankrupt+1842&pg=PA185&printsec=frontcover

I'm not sure how that fits in with this information - see post on the Birmingham History forum link below from Jason Ellis where Rice Harris appears under Islington Glassworks in 1833 but isn't named any further along the timeline.  He does say Islington Glassworks didn't close until the 1870s:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/union-glassworks.47212/page-2#google_vignette

Did Rice Harris go bankrupt separately to working at Islington Glassworks if it is indeed him that went bankrupt in 1842?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Is the reference from this The Art Union October 1849? - see page 307

https://archive.org/details/sim_art-journal-us_1849-10-01_11/page/306/mode/2up

Offline neilh

• Members

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Neil.  I'm going to add this info to the supposed Queen Victoria Coronation Banquet V&A 1830s uranium bowl thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand