No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mysterious silver overlay/cased vase  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Mysterious silver overlay/cased vase
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 02:29:03 AM »
As part of our housekeeping of the threads, I've been asking people for photographs to replace tinypics which have vanished. Most of the time, I get a polite reply stating that the photographs, and often the items themselves, are long gone.

Not so this time. Judy has replied with a lovely letter, explaining how she took this vase with her when they evacuated from Hurricane Rita in 2005, and again when they fled Ike. Attached were four of her original photographs, and yes, she'd still like to know more about its origins.

Now that the photographs have been restored to the thread, does anyone recognise this vase? Is it what they call Mercury Glass, and does anyone have more information about it than Martha Stewart?

Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 12:33:05 AM »
Two hurricanes and she didn't lose the pictures! Wow, that's some good management!  :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

Carolyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 02:37:39 AM »
Is it what they call Mercury Glass ...
No, it is not what is called "Mercury Glass" (aka "Silvered Glass"). Judy's earlier description confirmed that the silver was on the outside, and that it tarnished and polished up like nornal silver. The old "Mercury Glass" had clear glass on the outside with a "silvering substance" poured into the recess of the double-walled form of the object.

As well as the Martha Stewart article linked to above, there is some basic info on Mercury Glass at: http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/mercuryglass.html
KevinH

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 02:51:56 AM »
Looks to me like it's cased clear on the inside, and white on the outside.  The window was etched through to the white, then polished and cut.  Then the silver overlay was applied.  That's my guess.  It's a beautiful piece.  I wonder who made it.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 03:42:01 AM »
Kristi, please forgive my pedanticism on this one, but "cased clear on the inside" does not make sense as "cased" implies a coating over another, and the inside part would surely be simply a clear gather - unless it started with a non-clear gather, of course!
KevinH

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 06:38:55 AM »
I suppose I should have said "cased:  clear on the inside and white on the outside."  One method of casing adds the inner layer to the outer, already-formed bubble, but I don't know what was done here.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline sunshine2

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 01:20:38 AM »
I SO appreciate all the interest and input regarding my vase!  I may never know the exact origin, but I did receive a reply to a recent email that I sent to the curator of the Corning Glass Museum in Corning, New York.  I would like to share her opinion with anyone still looking in on this thread. 

Quote:  The pictures of your handsome silver overlay vase have been referred to me for a reply. We have a somewhat similar piece which was a gift in 1984, and was catalogued as French or possibly Bohemian, about 1880-1910. I think yours is mostly likely to be European as well as it is certainly unlike any American silver glass in our collection. Ours also has a number on the base and we usually assume that that is either the decorator’s number (a common thing in Bohemian glass) or a pattern or shape number. If there’s any mark on American pieces, it’s usually on the silver and identifies the decorating company which finished the piece.

I hope that you find this opinion of interest.

Jane Shadel Spillman
Curator of American Glass
The Corning Museum of Glass

Well, I am certainly fine with that!  I've not been able to associate this piece with any company in America and would be quite thrilled with a French or Bohemian vase.  Regardless of the pedigree, I will continue to love it!

Oh, to Carolyn on saving the pictures....they were in the computer, and I took it too... ;) :) ;D

Judy

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 01:57:18 AM »
Well, that's good information to have!  My money's on French if it's between French and Bohemian.  It's a stunning piece, and quite unusual.

Jane Spillman is really helpful.  She's the curator of American glass at CMOG, but she seems to answer every question that goes to Corning, regardless of the glass origin.

Probably the most exciting day of my life glass-wise was one on which I attended a meeting of the NE chapter of the American Cut Glass Assoc. that was hosted by Jane Spillman.  I was there as a guest of a member, and planned a whole road trip around the event.  Before going to her house there was a lecture at CMOG by an engraver, and afterwards we all went out to dinner.

Many folks on this board are used to hobnobbing with famous glass authors, if they aren't authors themselves.  I hadn't ever even talked in person to another glass enthusiast before this trip.  I also was VERY fortunate to be allowed to visit the house of a couple who have written many glass books but who are somewhat reclusive.  I had been a fan of theirs since my earliest glass days, so it was a real treat.  And they took me out to dinner!

Sorry, that's all a big off-topic aside.  Your note just reminded me of the trip.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline sunshine2

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »
What a great story, Kristi!  Thanks for sharing it!!  Glass folks everywhere are the best!!!

Judy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand