No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandi Designers  (Read 5285 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Scandi Designers
« on: July 18, 2005, 09:47:43 PM »
In addition to
http://www.ilmi-johanna.com/design/ic_designers.html
already posted in another thread

I just came across this resource for all designers
http://www.designaddict.com/design_index/index.cfm

It's interesting to see that several Scandi glass designers, designed other things too ...
eg Timo Sarpaneva here
http://www.designaddict.com/design_index/index.cfm/fuseaction/designer_show_one/DESIGNER_ID/186/index.cfm
Including an 'I-line' series Decanter. That series was mentioned in anoither thread recently
Pete

Sklounion

Scandi Designers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 01:11:57 AM »
Peter,

You seem almost surprised. Since the late 1880's many a scandinavian talent has operated in many fields.

Aalto,(architecture,furniture, glass)Jacobsen (architecture, lighting, furniture, glass, cutlery), Wirkkala(furniture, glass, cutlery), Sarpaneva (furniture, glass, cutlery, silver-ware, ceramics, kitchen-ware), Saarinen (architecture,furniture), the modernist scandinavians, seem to have had an all-encompassing approach, rather than operating on a basis of job-demarcation.

It should be noted that, the major discipline to emerge was that of industrial design. Though there had been several individual talents, Dresser, Behrens, arguably it is in the aftermath of the Bauhaus, and particularly in the 1950's, that industrial design came to the fore.

The movement of former bauhaus teachers to America, and the continuing
global interest in Scandinavian architecture and design, created the conditions in which design schools flourished.

Only after the war did British architecture become a building only discipline, before that, one found the likes of Alfred Waterhouse, designing everything for the Refuge Building, Manchester, the doors, handles, book-cases, etc, rather than using a list of what the various suppliers have to offer. Like-wise Edgar Wood, really the first Modernist architect, designed everything for his buildings, whether that was in Manchester, Stafford, (arguably the first modernist house, predating anything built in mainland Europe, before the First World War(1908)) and Frinton.

Architects used to be considered as the masters of all trades. That that remains true in Northern and central Europe, is a reflection, IMHO, of just how impoverished the profession has become in the west.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Scandi Designers
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 06:21:01 AM »
I have just received the ultimate book on finnish design glass. It is called DESIGNLASIN HINTAKIRJA (design glass price guide) and features all designs from Aino and Alvar Aalto, Kaj Franck, Saara Hopea, Gunnel Nymann, Timo Sarpaneva, Nanny Still, Helena Tynell and Tapio Wirkkala.
The items are presented as B/W line drawings, there are more than 7,000 prices, information on production numbers, colours, sizes and signatures all crammed together on  400 pages. Only drawback, it's all in Finnish - but there is a user's manual and vocabulary in German, Swedish and English. Still a most impressive piece of work at E 39,- available from the finnish design museum.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Scandi Designers
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 10:36:09 AM »
Ivo,

Have you a link to the page where the book can be ordered?

Also a book on 'Idiot's Guide to Learning Finnish'?  :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Anonymous

Scandi Designers
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 11:00:53 AM »
LINK

sorry cannot help with the finnish :roll:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Scandi Designers
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 11:17:57 AM »
Thanks for that; you do need to click 'Museum Shop' then 'Other Publications' to get to the correct page.

However, I can't see how to order the book so have mailed them.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline tmaritta

• Members
Scandi Designers
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 01:45:13 PM »
David,

If you go to the following page you will find a link to the order form:

LINK

Tilauslomake
Tilauslomakkeen voi ladata rtf-tiedostona

Click on rtf-tiedostona (which is underlined) and the form will open up in Word.  The form is in Finnish and English!

I need to convince my sister (who will have the car) to visit the museum with me while I go to Finland next week - it's only 90 km from my mother's house.   Maybe she will take some pictures that I can post here (I don't have a digital camera and my video camera is too heavy to take with me).  

Cheers,
TMaritta

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Scandi Designers
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 02:11:22 PM »
TMaritta,

Thanks for the instructions!  :D

One country I would like to visit sometime – only ever had the chance to visit Stockholm – and I know Father Christmas lives there  :roll:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Scandi Designers
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 03:20:55 PM »
http://tinypic.com/91jlec.jpg

sample page so you know what you're in for....

:P

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Scandi Designers
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 03:43:29 PM »
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand