No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Art Glass Basket  (Read 13833 times)

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Re: Opalescent Art Glass Basket
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »
Kristi - Re factories - yes.

Adam D.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 04:59:51 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 07:24:50 PM »
Great article!  Thanks, Frank.  I'm going to see if I can get any of the cited references from the library.  Although the results seem fairly straightforward, it's tough to take them and directly apply them to the colors we see in fluorescent glass, and hope to single out the molecules involved.  For instance, most ABP glass glows light lime green, I assume due to the presence of lead and manganese.  I've found that a lot of Bohemian glass glows yellowish to a dirty orange; I wonder whether soda has something to do with it.  Who knows what impurities might be involved, and how much interaction there is among molecules that influence the fluorescent colors we see?

Adam, after reading more of your posts, I figured it must be the case that you worked for those companies, but by that time couldn't modify my post, sorry.  What a wealth of experience and information you must posess! 

Re skeleton molds:  I'm going to repost my question in a new thread; this isn't really the most appropriate place.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 08:00:07 AM »
... Oh, forgot to answer this:  "BTW — Apologies, I had to ask — Are you a descendant of the Silber of Silber & Fleming, whose c.1890 mail order glass and china catalogue is so useful to us today?"

No, sorry, never heard of 'em!  Is this a common reference on your side of the pond?

Both sides of the pond, I think.   Excellent reference.   Search for The Silber & Fleming Glass & China Book.   Last time I looked clean copies with dw were easily available and inexpensive.

There's one on eBay with a colour page of table centres and wall mirrors shown.   In the lower corners are two tiny threaded shell epergnes on mirror plateaux.   I have one of these in stock — The Silber & Fleming Glass & China Book is the only reference book I've found them in.   Just one example of its usefulness.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »
Bernard:

As a reminder, this wonderful book was published under a different title in North America.  See this discussion:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,11258.msg83308.html#msg83308

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand