No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kastrup - Holmegaard  (Read 4572 times)

Offline stevetheb

• Members
Kastrup - Holmegaard
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:35:34 PM »
I'm sure it's not terribly exciting, but maybe a useful reference for someone. I found this pair of Candlesticks in a local Charity shop for 50p - and still in their box.  Anyone have an idea of their date?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Kastrup - Holmegaard
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »
Presumably pre-1972 when the King of Denmark died - there's been a queen since then.  Nic (pinkspoons) may well be able to get you closer date-wise. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 02:03:19 PM »
Actually, they could very well post-date the death of the king as Kastrup-Holmegaard were a bit tight when it came to ditching their packaging and labels. As a brandname, Kastrup-Holmegaard should have only been used on wares between 1965-1970, when the 'Kastrup' part was dropped from the logo in their marketing / catalogues.... however, the company was still registered as Kastrup-Holmegaard until 1975 and much of the old packaging, dead king and all, was in circulation until that year.

I have one or two sets of boxed glasses where the packaging bears the old-style logo/title, but the labels on the pieces inside bear the newer logo, and vice-versa, so they weren't very picky about a coherent look. This seems to have been down to the fact that the factory was strapped for cash - in 1972 they have just built their biggest plant to date, the F5, and were hit by the energy crisis the following year causing the closure of several furnaces over the next few years, some temporarily and some pemanently (as with the closure of the whole Hellerup plant in June 1975).

As for the taper-holders, they were designed c.1960, and these examples were produced at some point between 1965-75.

Offline stevetheb

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:18:48 PM »
Thanks for the info all - fascinating stuff. Adds them to the box under the bed.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »
I'm sure it's not terribly exciting, but maybe a useful reference for someone. I found this pair of Candlesticks in a local Charity shop for 50p - and still in their box.  Anyone have an idea of their date?

The type of square candlesticks (large and small) appear along with Stare shape and Triangular shape candlesticks in Holmegaard catalogue in January 1963 and only in aqua, but I think the design is approx 1957. Later in catalogue from Kastrup Holmegaard in 1967 it can also be found in clear, aqua, dark blue and smoke glass.

Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »
I've some of these square ones in Smoke and Aqua, and they both bear pre-1965 labels, so the Smoke ones must have first been in circulation sometime between 1964-65. So that's pinned that down a little further.  :)

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:02:33 PM »
I've some of these square ones in Smoke and Aqua, and they both bear pre-1965 labels, so the Smoke ones must have first been in circulation sometime between 1964-65. So that's pinned that down a little further.  :)

Can not be sure smoke is not present in 1958-1965 Holmegaard Glasværk catalogue only aqua, smoke does not appear before Kastrup Holmegaard catalogue 1967-1973 in 4 colours, maybe aqua was the only colour up to 1967 and 3 colours was added to the range for the 1967 catalogue.

Should not be supprised if Christer Holmgren is responsible for the design, not Christel she didnt come to Holmegaard before 1968.

Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:27:43 PM »
After some consideration.... as full as the 1957-65 reprinted catalogue is, it doesn't seem to be complete. When Holmegaard were compiling it for publication, they missed a lot out - for example, there is nothing from the pressed glass 'Skjold' series (1963) in it, also the 'Flamingo' vases are absent.

I agree, though - Christer Holmgren is the most likely designer for the candlesticks.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
After some consideration.... as full as the 1957-65 reprinted catalogue is, it doesn't seem to be complete. When Holmegaard were compiling it for publication, they missed a lot out - for example, there is nothing from the pressed glass 'Skjold' series (1963) in it, also the 'Flamingo' vases are absent.

I agree, though - Christer Holmgren is the most likely designer for the candlesticks.

No, these catalogue is often not complete and often in a bad shape, as for Flamingo it was included in the 1957-1965 catalogue from Holmegaard Marts, 1959 along with the Bison range. Skjold I do not have as catalogue only that the square item is the only thing left from Skjold range in the 1967-1973 catalogue.

Peter

HarderNet.dk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand