No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anybody heard of skeleton molds?  (Read 14674 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Anybody heard of skeleton molds?
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2008, 12:46:06 AM »
I read that thread a few days ago, found it in the archives.  I don't know about diatreta, but Lierke's evidence for Roman cameo being molded instead of blown didn't hold much weight with me.  I loved this comment for its articulate derision alone:  "Lierke's preposterous idea that they are made by squeezing hot glass through a colander-like mould of plaster is absolutely risible, like most of her impractical theories."  Excellent word, risible!

I've heard from the guy that has the vase with bosses.  He still has it, but not at home.  He's going to pick it up and get back to me. 
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2008, 12:47:42 AM »

Cathy B, where in Australia do you live?  I did my post-graduate research on the Atherton Tablelands, lived there on and off for a few years...and loved it!

Hi Kristi - I'm in the much maligned Canberra. It's a great place.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »
Hi,
 I discovered this interesting film showing glass blowing into a frame. The result certainly looks like lenses.
 To see the film go to the "Cafe "
 Regards Patrick.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2008, 09:45:54 PM »
Thanks, Patrick, cool video!  I couldn't get it to work from your blogspot, but went to British Pathe and viewed it.  The metal frames are the kind of thing I was talking about when I attempted to explain that different-sized open areas would result in different-sized bubbles ("...a glass object blown into a metal structure that become part of the finished piece.").  In the objects in the video, though, the glass would be of a fairly similar thickness throughout the piece, or thinner where openings were bigger, as others have pointed out.  The big mystery behind the bosses on the Steuben and Hawkes pieces is how they ended up a lot thicker than the rest (which I'm convinced they are).

Haven't heard back from the guy with the vase.  After Easter if I haven't heard anything I'll pester him again.

Cathy, I never made it to Canberra.  I've heard it's a very nice city, though!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
I see you already got the book... never mind.  :spls:

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »
The big mystery behind the bosses on the Steuben and Hawkes pieces is how they ended up a lot thicker than the rest (which I'm convinced they are).

Hi, I am still with the idea of 'Cast on bosses '.

Regards , Patrick.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 12:34:39 AM »
Hi, Or if there are internal indents then " optical illusion "
 Patrick.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »
Could this be what you are looking for? http://www.toolsforglass.com/store/other_stuff.html

scroll down to Detachable Fin Mold
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »
Quite like it, I'd say!  Thanks, Adam, for posting that.  I think in the earlier version that I believe was used on these pieces, the fins were hinged at the bottom.  There were also arms that formed the bosses.

I wrote the vase owner again, still haven't heard back though.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »
Hi, Looks to me like a DIP mold for doing ribbing or optics................... Only a thought. Patrick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand