No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selman sale  (Read 2806 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Selman sale
« on: July 21, 2005, 06:14:51 PM »
If I were Larry Selman, I would, of course, make this posting in the Garage Sale section. But as it's me just pointing something out, I reckon it's ok in here.

If you have not already seen them, there are 252 lots of paperweights (and some vases) in an eBay online "live" auction sale for 30th July. The reason I mention these sales to people is that they are a good source of basic information on both antique and modern "collectable" weights. Also, for folk like me, on the "wrong" side of the Atlantic, it is often the only chance we have of seeing a good range of contemporary work from various US makers.

To find the sale, just search for item# 6544377592 and then click the "View All Lots" button.

Incidentally, I always find it a bit odd when people describe auctions as "No Reserve" and then put a fixed starting price on the listing. Is it just me, or do people really think that something like a $500 starting bid, against an estimated $1,000 - $1,200 is not some form of reserve price? Or, at least, does it not suggest that the low estimate is just some guessed at figure to create an impression of "high value"? Well, maybe it is just me, but then I like life to be simple.

Oh, and another quick gripe ... I see that some online "live" auctions, like Larry's, now include a "buyer's premium". If I happened to be successful on a bid against an "assumed" estimate for a piece with "no reserve" but a fixed starting price, then I might be happy enough. But when it gets to my door in the UK, the nice man from the delivery service then adds more "premium" to the item to cover Import Duty, VAT and a "Handling" charge, all of which can add 20% to my winning bid price! No wonder I don't buy much from the US!

Ok, I've finished moaning and groaning.

Just take a look at the weights on offer - there are some nice pieces in there.

:D
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Selman sale
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 10:10:57 PM »
I have noticed high starting prices on US auctions and not bothered with the auction. In one case a Monart piece with a start of 500 dollars or something like that, but sold for about $100!

Opening bids are what counts in those auctions.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand