No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signature help. ID = Malaysian, Langkawii Crystaal  (Read 13280 times)

Offline ejean9

• Members
Re: Signature help
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »
Hi Hourglass
Everyone is supposed to start a new post for each query...so that there is no confusion.
Jean.

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
Reckon it could be an Italian weight. looking at the engraved name, or should I say etched, and the last few letters look Italian to me, a Murano weight perhaps?

I've just received in the post a nice weight with an impressed mark in the base which has 'ELWOOD' and 'IND' beneath it, above this is what I can only describe as a stylized 'peacock'. Any ideas? I'll upload a picture if needed.

Elwood, Indiana, USA is home to StClair Glass.

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »
Hi Hourglass
Everyone is supposed to start a new post for each query...so that there is no confusion.
Jean.
Thank you and noted for the future.

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
Elwood, Indiana, USA is home to StClair Glass.

Thank you. I presumed it was an American weight by the description and the picture I was given of the base. Another different name added to my slowly growing collection.

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »
well i still havent had any joy with this..i have recently seen some kosta boda glass that has similar colours/design..but thats about it..sigh..

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 06:35:34 AM »
well i still havent had any joy with this..i have recently seen some kosta boda glass that has similar colours/design..but thats about it

..sigh..

No please do not...sign....yet.   ;)

How about another pic -- maybe closer, and a bit clearer.....we still can work on this, but a new Pic is all what we (may  :X: ) need

:thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline ejean9

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
Hi Rose
Sorry for delay in replying..been up to my eyes in stuff..try as i might i cant get a btter pic..the pw is soooo small...im still looking at names and comparing thou..

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 04:23:12 AM »
Again, I'm not sure who is interested after all these years...

This item is inscribed for Langkawii Crystaal, an operation on the Malaysian island of Langkawai since the late 1990s. Another item carrying the same inscription in the same handwriting was identified as such in this thread. Yet another item with the same inscription in the same handwriting is the blue bowl, 10cm high by 17cm diameter, shown in the photos below.

A fourth item from the same source with a similar inscription in different handwriting was identified eventually here. Curiously, this identified query was on the board at the same time as the current unidentified one, and the threads even had some participants in common. Perhaps the difference in handwriting clouded the comparison.

These items all have rather complicated annotations apart from the name of the maker. I can't figure out much of it, but I presume there is a date in there somewhere.

It seems there are other glass making businesses on Langkawi island. From what I can find online they are mostly aimed at the tourist trade, which is a major industry of the island. Perhaps they live up to their boast as "the Murano of the East"! A puzzle is why Langkawii Crystaal spells its name that way with two "i" and two "a". The latter could be from another European language (Dutch?) but I don't know about the former.

Langkawaii Crystaal has a website here. Its current production is far too bling for my taste, but it seems their earlier output was different. The items illustrated on this tourist website are more in keeping with the blue bowl that is pictured below. Actually, that item is well made and attractive in a sturdy way.

Has anyone been on a glass tour of Langkawi and can report?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand