No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Clappison Ravenhead vases  (Read 7355 times)

vidfletch

John Clappison Ravenhead vases
« on: July 19, 2005, 10:49:30 PM »
Does anyone have info or pictures of the textured glass vases John Clappison made in the early eighties for Ravenhead? I know he is more famous for pottery but he worked for Ravenhead too.

Did Ravenhead do catalogues or brochures etc?

Cheers.

Vidfletch :idea:

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 11:49:55 PM »
I wasn't aware that he did and would very much like to see some.
He did some quite daring designs for Hornsea Pottery I think in the 50s.
I'm having trouble finding any images of any Ravenhead glass online !!!

Ravenshead doesn't crop up very often here. It was so very much a part of ordinary British people's lives in the late 60s and 70s going by my own memories. After that I didn't have much contact with Ravenshead glass.

This sad footnaote may be of interest.

Hansard (UK Parliament)
House of Commons
29 Mar 2001 : Column 1195
Ravenhead Glass
Mr. David Watts (St. Helens, North): I am grateful for the opportunity to raise an important issue on behalf of many of my constituents. I should inform the House that Ravenhead Glass, which went out of business three weeks ago, has a long history in St. Helens--it has had a factory there for more than 150 years. In its heyday, it employed more than 5,000 people, but when it closed two weeks ago, it employed 200.

Many of those people, after 30 years' service, would normally have expected gold watches, enhanced redundancy payments or even good pensions. Most of the staff are aged over 50 and, as I have said, most have more than 30 years' service with the company. Three weeks ago they were made redundant and were told that they would receive only statutory redundancy pay, and that they would have their pensions reduced by about 20 per cent., as the pension scheme contained a £5 million black hole.

These workers are not numbers; they are people. An example is Mr. Dave Rotherham, who contacted me recently. He had worked in the plant for 30 years, and his father had worked there for 50 years. His life has been turned upside down in recent weeks. He has lost his job, he has no enhanced redundancy payments, and he faces a family crisis and a bleak future. That is after 30 years' hard work for the same company.

The Ravenhead company is owned by a parent company, Durabor, which is owned by the Belgian regional government. Ravenhead went into administration in November 1999. It had massive debts and an undervalued pension scheme. The Ravenhead plant at St. Helens is one of only two glass manufacturing plants in the UK. The other is in Chesterfield and is also, by coincidence, in receivership. It is quite possible, therefore, that within a few weeks Britain will have no glassware industry at all. That will be the end of another British industry. It will be lost for ever, thanks to the current problems that the industry is experiencing.
Pete

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:39:45 AM »
The Ravenhead brand was acquired by Rayware in 2000. The name lives on if the factory doesn't! They are based at Speke, Liverpool.

www.rayware.co.uk

It might be worthwhile contacting them I suppose. The vases are mentioned in Lesley Jackson book "20th Century Factory Glass". I think I know which ones they are but need to clarify it!

Vidfletch :idea:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:40:23 AM »
Hello,
I've no idea who designed these tumblers, but I know they're Ravenhead. I like them lots, and picked them all up (in sets!) from charity shops. I use them all the time. I'd really like to know who designed them! The picture makes them look bigger than they are, the biggest ones hold my 250ml bottle of ginger beer, just. I have to drink it down quite a bit to get my chocolate chip ice-cream float in!

http://tinypic.com/96damt.jpg
http://tinypic.com/96datz.jpg

What I want to get hold of more of are the Anette Meech "Apollo" large glasses. I had lots of them back in the '70's, bought from Boots. I broke them. :cry:  I only have 2 now.

http://tinypic.com/96db1e.jpg

Thanks, Anne! This seller seems to think they're called Nevada. There's no mention of Nevada in Lesley Jackson's book.

Vidfletch, Very Happy Is it White Fire you want a picture of? My cats' current drinking bowl?
White Fire and Siesta are all currently widely available in your local charity shops. (At least, they are here!). I've got loads of Siesta, too, but drinking glasses and "those" little fruit bowls, not vases. The glasses are useful, but I don't even know how I managed to acquire the little fruit bowls. Do you need pictures of Siesta? I know what White Fire and Siesta are, because I see so many of them still in their boxes, in charity shops. Mostly all unused fruit sets - big bowl and little bowls. I'm not so fond of them. From the number in charity shops, unused, neither were the people who had them!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 02:30:47 PM »
Here's my box o'Chunkies...they might not set the world alight, but they will one day...er....perhaps, maybe....  

http://tinypic.com/96godj.jpg

http://tinypic.com/96gpqh.jpg
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 03:19:16 PM »
:D Thanks, Max!
According to LJ'S 20th CFG, these are Hardie Williamson designs. The exhibition this next Cambridge Glass Fair in going to be on these designs!
They may set the world alight yet,  :D , great to have them in original box, presumably unused!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 03:29:36 PM »
According to LJ'S 20th CFG, these are Hardie Williamson designs. The exhibition this next Cambridge Glass Fair in going to be on these designs!

That's interesting Sue, thanks.  I'll definitely have to go to that, I'll have a Google right now, and see when it is.  

I've been surreptiously collecting these glasses for a little while now (they seem to be dishwasher safe!  :lol: ).  I think my favourites are the yellow smilies as my Mum used to have those.   :D  :D
I am not a man

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 08:58:58 PM »
Vidfletch,
You are looking at the wrong decade. Clappison went to Ravenhead as Chief Designer in 1972, returning to Hornsea Pottery in 1976. You need sales brochures for the 1970s.
Regards,
Le Casson

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 10:31:37 PM »
Le Casson,

I read more and indeed it says late seventies. This ties in with 1976. I suppose they were still made after he left.

It is not the White Fire range or Siesta. These were seperate vases in their own right. Not tableware.  I see White Fire and Siesta all the time too. The most interesting thing about White Fire was the legal argument with Whitefriars over the name!

I contacted Rayware today. They own the intellectual and property rights of the Ravenhead name but do not possess the archives! B*gger!!!!!!! LOL!!!

Any suggestions now?

Vidfletch

Sklounion

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 04:24:09 AM »
Sue and Max,
You might be interested in this site:
http://www.sivignonglass.com/
It does answer the "whatever happened to?" question regarding Annette Meech.
LG get to play away from home???

Regards,

Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand