No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling 7000 Bird Bowl Variants  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Jobling 7000 Bird Bowl Variants
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:47:38 PM »
Just wanted to share this with the board as it seems to be quite an unusual piece of Jobling and until recently I'd only seen one other example.

It is cat. no. 7000 Bird pattern bowl, however, this has been spun out into a plate then crimped in three places at the rim. The 1934 catalogue does not mention such a variant and only shows the typical deep bowl shape which most examples of this pattern are seen in.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9339
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9338
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9337
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9336

It measures approximately 10 inches (26 cm) in diamter. The finishing is a little different from the conventional 7000 bowl, as it has been pontilled. The three birds each have a polished plat spot from where the piece was attached. Also the shaping has given the rim a melted/ fire polished finish, in contrast to my deep examples which are unmelted and have the fine mould seam at the rim ground.

As I mentioned, I had until recently, only seen one other example. This was in colourless flint glass and satinised all over. it had a three crimp rim. However, just recently I've purchased another plate, in blue and satinised all over. This differs in that it has 8 crimps around the rim, more in keeping with the flower & fir cone, etc. crimped plates.  It also came with a flanged 7000 bowl. A variant I have never seen before. I haven't photographed them yet though hope to add pictures soon.

Steven

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Jobling 7000 Bird Bowl Variants
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 09:26:16 PM »
Steven — Nice to find another keen on Jobling variants.   I've never seen the 7000 bowl with crimps like this.

I had a pleasant surprise today when I bought three firsts for me in one example of Jobling.   The 2593 Three Graces Comport in plain unfrosted flint (not in the book) with registration number (new to me — all the examples I have seen have been coloured, unmarked and with satin finish, as per Baker & Crowe).

Janet and I have been Jobling devotees for a long time, but particularly since we were treated to dinner, served on the unique cut-decorated Pyrex dinner service presented to Howes on his retirement, at the home of his charming daughter.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:15:48 PM »
Bernard, Thank you for your kind comments. I have long been a collector of Jobling and always look out for unusual examples. Your flint three graces sounds very interesting, I have never seen a plain flint example. I was surprised though to hear that many of these are unmarked. I've only handled two examples, an amber one with a fairly coarse seemingly sandblasted surface and a blue one which had been acid satinised. Both were marked with a tiny registration no. hidden between the concentric rings on the underside of the foot.

Another interesting piece I've acquired is a 12000 Fish Salad bowl, shaped differently to most examples and unmarked:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9350

Steven  :)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:41:51 AM »
Steven — It just demonstrates how cautious you have to be to draw conclusions from small sample sizes.   Had you written the book, all would have been marked;  had I, up to this week, all unmarked!

Was that you, Steven, posting in topic BIRD VASE - Sowling or Joberby?, or a different Steven?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »
Same Steven, though now having handled two marked small Bird & panel vases, I have come to the conclusion that differentiating between Sowerby & Jobling production of this pattern is not as easy as I first thought. It would appear that at least two distinct moulds were used by Jobling for this pattern, some have a prominent horizontal ribbed pattern to the tail feathers, while others have slightly more pronounced moulding with better defined feathers but with markedly less ribbing. My green marked example was of the former type, my pink marked example the latter. I also have an amber example of the latter which I am certain is Jobling despite being unmarked.

The ones I handled and were sure were Sowerby, i.e. in colours not consistent with Jobling's output, often but not always had prominent ribbing on the tail feathers and also stood a little shorter, generally 8 1/2 inches tall rather than 8 3/4 for the marked Jobling examples. They all had untidy mould seams at the foot with signs of repairs to the mould visible. As you youself say though, caution is required in drawing conclusions from a relatively small sample. My observations are based on the examples which have been through my hands which amount to about 15 by my reckoning, four of which I am confident were Jobling, the rest, probably Sowerby.

The difference in moulding can be seen here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7477 (the pink example is believed to be Sowerby but my marked green example has similar feathers. The amber vase I am confident is Jobling given that the colour & finish are consistent with my large 11500 Bird & Panel vase and the mould details seemingly matched my marked pink example).

I have since sold on many of these vases and have just kept my amber example and green marked vase, it is perhaps a shame that I did not keep them all so a more careful comparison could be made. I hope to get chance to photograph my marked green one over Easter.
Steven

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 08:12:56 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum