No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy glass vase  (Read 9578 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Heavy glass vase
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »
Those on this thread, may be interested in this finished ebay sale of a vase and a copy from a 1973
copy of a magazine!
David, (langhaugh) looks a lot like some of yours and mine, and i think the documentation helped the seller
get a good price!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/E-Beranek-Vase-Skrdlovice-um-1950-dokumentiert-1_W0QQitemZ180246991107QQihZ008QQcategoryZ7481QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Andy 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 06:35:25 AM »
Just noticed a vase very similar to my pink/cranberry vase pictured early, except it's bigger. More importantly, it has a Magnor label on it,  I'm still looking for one with an Aseda label. The reference number on ebay is 220439064003 and here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220439064003&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D220439064003%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1.

Interestingly, since the post from Marcus I bought what I'm convinced is a Kotik Atlas vase (I looked at the one in the Hi Sklo Lo Sklo exhibition very closely). The seller described it as a Börne Augustsson for Aseda vase. The colour is the same as the Kotik, i.e. not clear. The seller couldn't remember the reference for the claim, but was totally convinced.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »
David, it would be nice to see your suspected Kotik vase. I like these vases very much myself, the Beranek type shape of lobed heavy vases in yours and Anddys collection. Your Magnor ebay picture has worried me a lot concerning care when buying heavy "Beranek" lobed type vases, since the attribution can seem very tricky. A Scandinavian collector on GMB would hopefully recognise it. I know in the 1970's Scandinavian design often mixed metal and wood and so the base may be in keeping with contemporary styles though at a glance it does look odd and a bit like Chinese inspired marriage after the event! Having a closer look at the base it does look a great fit, maybe used by someone just to stop scratching a glass table?

The first small vase you put up (mainly amber) resembles a tiny vase i bought recently, similarly small compared to the others, that was attributed to beranek probably 1950's and I had no problem with believing that myself. As posted elsewhere on GMB attributions of pre circa 1960 Beranek- Skrdlovice is hampered by lack of availability of documentation for the researchers as Jindrich has often lamented, though often fairrly certain of attribution, the lack of documents for early pieces have made identifications "probable" not certain, which is tricky for all of us!

I attach the pic of tiny "Beranek" type vase familar to some GMB members already. It is only 12 cms high but it is sweet. So far in my collecting I have noticed that the Atlas type vases can often have thin lips as well as rounded lobes encouraging some identification (probably). Though I like to use colourway as a (probable) guide since there seem to be coulour combinations that always strike me as "likely" Czech, coupled with other physical factors.

The green -yellow vase of yours worries me concerning shape but more experienced members may have a more knowledgable view than I, the blue looks good for Skrdlovice and the labelled one obviously should be too, as should the diddy (small) amber one you first put up. Mine is even smaller I think 12 cms high. It is one step up from an egg cup but I like it any way, which is all glass collecting boils down to ultimately!

nice to see some pics of more Beranek type vases. Andy's collection is extremely nice too, of course,

yours,

bOBA

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »
Hi friends,
Taylor's vase is Å krdlovice before 1960 - pattern number for the moment I do not know for the moment.
Kotik vase is well documented one - pattern 5503 from 1955 (Glasrevue 1964/8 and Glasrevue 1965/11).
Andy's pieces are also Škrdlovice 5988 from 1959 (Glasrevue 1965/11) designed by Jan Beránek (fabricated in size and colour modifications in Škrdlovice for next 49 years), the vase very right on picture is not known to me. It is Czechoslovakian, but I have not more details for the meantime. This pieces, including Kotik's one are not very rare, I am sorry.

I still have gaps in Skrdlovice production before 1960 but I am sure I will be able to fit it soon.
I have already mentioned here - on Friday 26/06/09 begin biggest Å krdlovice glass exhibition in Pardubice www.vcm.cz - "Magie skla - Sklárna Beránek ve Å krdlovicích 1941 – 2008".  I am sure that I will get there more information that I will directly pass to you.
I am very busy in my regular job now, so be patient please.

Jindrich

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
bOBA and Jindrich:

Thanks for your comments; useful as always. As requested by bOBA, I'm adding some pictures of what I hope is a Kotik vase. I appreciate Jindrich's comment that these are quite common, but I still like them for what they are, not the rarity. The second picture captures the violet that's absent from the first, and ignore the label on the third; I put it there. It's approximately 8 1/2 inches or 21.5 cm tall.

The green and yellow one continues to baffle me. The colours don't look quite right for Czech, and yet the surface design seems to be the result of it being blown into some kind of wire cage, something like the Hlava pieces for Bor.

I'm beginning to be convinced that the cranberry one is, indeed, from Norway. The person I bought from assured me that her mother had bought in Norway in 1973 (the mother was Norwegian), even when I told her I was buying because I thought it was Czech. The Magnor label on the eBay one supports that story.

David

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 09:59:37 PM »
Thx for posting the Kotik vase David looks like a good example to me. I only have one of these in lime green-amber combination. Kotik "atlas" vases, are the name as described in Hi Lo Sklo by Mark Hill (and Graham Cooley), but I do not know if this is the trade name, but as a a name I find it is useful to differentiate them from the earlier smaller "Propeller" vases, that they are sometimes referred to as.  Always nice to see more hot worked Czech glass on GMB. Apparently there are over 14 colour combinations for these atlas vases. Numerous single colours, amazing combined colours and I even saw one online a while ago that looked pure black!. I posted mine a while ago on GMB somewhaere if interested. Mine is 2.3 kg but apparently the weight can be give or take a few hundred grams as there was some variation. There are also deliberately bigger 4kg plus versions, as with the Bereanek lobed type vases (I wish they had a name we could use). I do not know if the Kotik vases go even bigger. They always look great I think. The general Czech-Beranek shaped vases, with the Scandinavian similar vases, certainly take some looking at to try to differentiate them, the similarities have surprised me. The ebay Magnor example without a label would have confused me to be honest. But nice vases none the less. As with part of Andy's collection these big vases can look very good as a group. I will have to find some more....

bOBA

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 05:20:55 AM »
Hi David,
I would say that your piece is Kotik. Naturaly ,it is not difficult to make a copy of this one - fabrication is not difficult. In Skrdlovice factory this type of vase had nickname "melouchovina" what (I have ti trust to dictionary) means "moonlighting job".

Jindrich

(p.s. "magor" means in Czech "loony"  ;D)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 04:58:19 AM »
Jindrich and bOBA:

Thanks for the confirmation. Now to find some of the other colour combinations, and some Pizzacato and Harmony pieces, which, so far, didn't seem to make it to Canada.

David

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »
Three vases with approved attribution
Jindrich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum