No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crude Vaseline Vase - maybe a "dump / pup"????  (Read 4712 times)

Offline turnip45

• Members
Crude Vaseline Vase - maybe a "dump / pup"????
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »
Sturdy little item, however, assembled rather crudely. The images show "warts and all".  There is a surface crack on the brim, which looks kind of creased as though repaired over: many little white lumps in the glass, a surfice crease on the base and the stem is untidily joined to the bowl.  I have just popped this on for interest and to see if anyone out there can identify the vase.  Height 9 Cm's width at the brim 11 Cm's.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Re: Crude Vaseline Vase - maybe a "dump / pup"????
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:57:48 AM »
Well, maybe its my monitor, but it doesn't look yellow to me.  Does it glow?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline turnip45

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »
Yes, it glows and has been identified as 'vaseline' by a member of Hartley's Auctioneers of Ilkley!???  However, I am no expert on 'vaseline' even though I have a beautiful piece of Davidsons that is entirely different being yellow.

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »
To my understanding, any glass with uranium content will glow, but vaseline glass is defined by a yellow color and glowing under black light.  At any rate, it is a pretty piece, and I have several damaged pieces of glass on my shelves.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »
I'm always falling into the trap of calling uranium glass 'vaseline' even when it's not yellow!  ::) :-[ 

This looks a nice little piece to me.  I think I can see clues to the uranium content in your third and fourth pics, Turnip.  Could be 'Generic Stourbridge' :huh: :-\ 

And I too have many damaged pieces!  ::)  ;)   
Leni

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
I can see the uranium/vaseline glass in the top portion, but the stem and foot appear to be clear glass.  I would have bought it if I saw it in a shop.

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline turnip45

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »
Hi Mr VG

This last comment intrigued me so I took the item (I don't know whether to call it a bowl or a vase) into daylight and looked at the item through a strong magnifying glass.  The base is like the bowl with lots of tiny bubbles, but none of the white small particles embedded in the glass like in the bowl*.  However, the stem seems to be clear of any bubbles or particles.  And if you look closely, the bowl seems to be attached to the stem slightly out of centre and rather shabby.  *Where the milky colour finishes, the glass is very lumpy with what looks like tiny bits of cotton wool of differing size embedded in the glass. Thank you for your comments.  "B"

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 01:51:24 PM »
I guess I should have clarified.  the top portion appears to be uranium glass, the stem and foot appear to be non-uranium, colorless glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand