No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ernest Michael Dinkel, Glass engraver  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Ernest Michael Dinkel, Glass engraver
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »
Hi, This Whitefriars vase sold recently with engraving dated 1961, Check out http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190204361429
Did someone get a BARGAIN or is this the going rate for this Artist ?
  Regards
   Patrick.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Ernest Michael Dinkel, Glass engraver
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »
Did he work for WF or just used their blank?

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:07:58 PM »
Hi,  No he never worked for Whitefriars as far as I know. As you say this vase was probably a one off.
I am not too keen on the engraving but that is just me maybe.
 Regards Patrick.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:24:27 PM »
Wow!  Diamond point engraving, rather than copper or stone wheel.  Is there much of this around?  I didn't know anyone did it professionally in modern times (apart from a stipple artist or two).  Very interesting!

...I just Googled "Ernest Michael Dinkel" and apparently he was normally a painter.  My guess is this was just a little venture into a different medium on a purchased blank, so perhaps it didn't appeal as much to (or come to the attention of) those normally attracted to engraved Whitefriars glass.  This technique requires much less skill than wheel engraving does.

...Oh, Patrick confirmed my suspicions while I was Googling, good!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 07:42:27 AM »
 Ernest Michael Dinkel Artist/Glass Engraver/Illustrator.1895-1983.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »
I presume these pieces would be Diamond point engraving???
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19268.0.html

Andy
(couldnt trace the artist, have given the pieces to a friend as housewarming pressie ;D)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »
Andy, yes, that is also "diamond point," though the technique on these modern examples is different from the diamond point engraving of the 16th and 17th centuries.  I've done the same sort of thing with my Dremel.

There's an artist, Paul Darlington, who does stipple diamond point engraving:  using a diamond-tipped stylus (no electricity) makes thousands of dots to form an image.  Amazing work.  For some reason the links to his site don't work anymore.

I found lots of references for Ernest Michael Dinkel and examples of his work, but nothing else on glass.  Same guy that johnphillip mentions, though, based on the dates.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:37:59 PM »
Hi, Just found this with a reference to him being a Master  Engraver !!!!!!
Quote;-
" Master engraver Michael Dinkel arranged for Messrs Steven Williams, of Stourbridge, to cut and polish the glass. Messrs Harris and Edgar, of Croydon, set the glass panels within the white bronze frame."

The full article can be found here. http://archive.herefordtimes.com/2003/9/26/29028.html

Regards Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand