No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cased opalescent and orange ribbed enameled vase  (Read 1278 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
cased opalescent and orange ribbed enameled vase
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:20:58 AM »
I feel a bit guilty asking for ID help, when I'm of no use on 99% of the glass others here are asking for help with.  It's a different world over there!  Post some Heisey or Sinclaire, and I'll be of some help!

This vase is opalescent on the inside, with a layer of peachy orange over that, topped by colorless glass.  The ribs are thin and quite well defined near the top.  Rim is ground and had gold on it at one point.  Bottom has no pontil scar and is not ground.  Decorated on one side with yellow and white enamel.

Most Americans I know would probably say this is Bohemian, but for some reason I suspect English.  I would much appreciate any clues to its origin!

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: cased opalescent and orange ribbed enameled vase
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:56:17 AM »
Kristi — Interesting colour graduation.   Compare with a pair of thorn vases I had through my hands a while ago — the second link takes you straight there, but I've included the others for completeness.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 09:39:19 PM »
Hi Kristi,
many of us are pretty useless in 99% of id requests, but you have already been very helpful to me
on more than one occasion, so dont feel guilty , and its sometimes just little hints and
suggestions that can lead to a positive ID. One day i may post a piece of Heisey or Sinclaire,
(which i have never heard of :huh:) and you will be able to id it straight away!

Regards
Andy ;)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
Thanks, Andy, for that great comment!  I'm glad I've been of some help to someone!  Never heard of Sinclaire?  Oh my... Sinclaire's my favorite American glass company.  Fabulous engraving! I'll post a few photos of Sinclaire pieces when I manage to register for the Glass Gallery, but here's a link to one:  http://www.cmog.org/collection/detail.php?t=objects&type=all&f=&s=sinclaire+engraved&record=0

Bernard - wow, there's so much to read and assimilate in those threads!  I got a kick out of this comment of yours:  "I take "S&W" and "Webb" attributions from all but serious heavyweights in the USA with a bucketful of salt."  Well said!  Same thing with Moser attributions.

Speaking of Moser, their shaded wares are a product of a thin layer of colored glass sandwiched between colorless ones.  In that case, though, the colored glass is only on part of the piece, which is why some of them have one color at the top and another at the bottom.  I agree with some comment you made somewhere that in our vases the color is stretched out, so where the glass is thinner, it's lighter.

Interesting discussions about struck colors, too.  I agree with this:  "Plated amberina to me would be amberina glass over a white body."  (Connie).  And it's true, "amberina" in the US has been used by some glassmakers to describe a color combination rather than a struck glass.  "Peachblow" is the same way.

Sigh.  I was looking back through several old threads the other day and thinking there were comments I could have made, but it's hard to know whether the topics haven't already been raised and beaten to death in subsequent threads.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:25:57 AM »
Hi Kristi,

If you have a comment about any older thread, please feel free to add it.  :) The objective here is that the old threads become a sort of searchable database, and if you can add to the discussion in any way (to correct inaccuracies or fill gaps), we'd love to have the benefit of your knowledge. It's great to have you here! I must dig out some of my engraved glass to share :)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:56:24 PM »
Thanks, Cathy!  And by all, means, dig out that engraved glass!

I think "glassies" are such a friendly crowd, and so generous with their time and knowledge.  It's really great to meet so many people with a different perspective - one from 1000s of miles/km away!
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand