No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just thought I'd show off my big Bohemian vase...  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Just thought I'd show off my big Bohemian vase...
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:47:11 PM »
...and is this a rare colour?  :angel:

It has no pontil and the strawberries taste delicious.  :P
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Just thought I'd show off my big Bohemian vase...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »
Pretty color!  I was wondering what makes you think this is Bohemian?  I've never seen enamel like that on Bohemian glass.  Not that that necessarily means anything - there's a lot I haven't seen!  Any ideas about who made it?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »
Um.... it just looks Bohemian with the pinched work. I don't think it's English and no idea who made it.

I have strawberries on a spatter vase...

...maybe even the same maker...
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:12:51 AM »
Also the ground rim and shape look generally Bohemian to me, but that's a pure guess. Marinka's the one to ask.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:15:19 AM »
I think the yellow spatter vase is British because I saw something similar (both in colour and in decoration) the other day with "A present from Blackpool" on it in gold script. Of course it might still be Bohemian, but at least I thought I'd mention it.
The blue one I would believe is Bohemian - perhaps Harrach. There are unlimited enameling styles on Bohemian glass and as they decorated factory blanks in a cottage industry no 2 pieces are the same. 

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:29:11 PM »
"the ground rim..."  I'm glad you mentioned that.  I know that's a common trait in Bohemian glass, but I wondered whether it was also fairly common in British wares, or are fire-finished rims much more prevalent?  American glass rarely has ground rims (except in cut glass).

I would have though the crimped glass on the blue vase could be English, as well as Bohemian.  I have a feeling many of my preconceptions about European glass will fall by the wayside if I hang around here!

The strawberry question makes me wonder about yet something else:  how Bohemian imports to Britain might have differed from those to the US.  Truitts talk about how Harrach had excellent marketing research, tailoring their wares to whatever country the glass was bound for.  I've looked at quite a lot of Bohemian glass (or photos, anyway), and although the styles are extremely variable, in America anyway they aren't unlimited.  Perhaps that's explained by the styles that were exported to us.

When I saw the yellow spatter vase, my first thought was British, too.  But the more I learn, the more confusing it all becomes!

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »
Yellow splatter is also found with writing in non-English languages. I personally would be more inclined to go for Bohemian

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 09:22:47 AM »
"the ground rim..."  I'm glad you mentioned that.  I know that's a common trait in Bohemian glass, but I wondered whether it was also fairly common in British wares, or are fire-finished rims much more prevalent?  American glass rarely has ground rims (except in cut glass).
I too used to think the cut rim was a Bohemian trait.  And indeed it may be.  But I also have many items with cut rims which have been identified as English!  Particularly the one shown below, which I had always thought was Bohemian, but which actually appears in Gulliver's 'Victorian Decorative Glass - British Designs, 1850 - 1914'  ::)

I would have though the crimped glass on the blue vase could be English, as well as Bohemian.  I have a feeling many of my preconceptions about European glass will fall by the wayside if I hang around here!
I also have several pieces with that crimped decoration.  Similar crimps are also shown in Gulliver. 

I think you're right, Kristi!  If you hang around here you can only become even more confused, IMO!  :spls: I know I have!  ;)  But it's fun, too!  ;D

The strawberries look delicious, but I have no idea about the style of the enamel decoration, as it's not my scene.  However, they certainly do look similar in style to the ones on the spatter vase....  :-\  Sorry, Tony.  No idea! 
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:55:28 AM »
My question about Gulliver - is how does he know they're all English, very few are given direct attributions

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 04:03:14 PM »
That was always my complaint about Gulliver, Christine!   ::)  However, as I understand it (from Mervyn Gulliver himself!) he will not give attributions unless he is absolutely definite of an ID by means of having seen a Registered Design for a particular piece!  He has searched - and is still searching - the Registered Designs at Kew and also Pattern Books at Broadfield House and elsewhere, and from this information has published his more recent books, with many more attributions. 

Unlike Manley, who gave many items attributions based on hearsay (albeit from Stourbridge ex-glassblowers or their families) and drew conclusions from stylistic similarities, Gulliver is very reluctant to make such assumptions.  So he won't give an attribution when he's almost certain, only when he's absolutely certain!  ::)  So you see he is very thorough!  If he says something is something, I generally believe him!       
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand