No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crackle glass vase... I know what your all thinking... - ID probably = Karcag  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Chinese, I'm sure it's not though even though it's modern.  :)

It's very heavy and the crackle is very fine and the quality seems good. It's a cracking good vase Gromit!
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
Re: Crackle glass vase... I know what your all thinking...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:59:33 PM »
AAAArgh - I'm getting confused this looks like a mix of crackle and peluguso(?) Would people say that this is an example of 'sloppy' modern mass production methods?  The whole bubble thing confuses me - I've identified, Biot, Nazing, Murano, Whitefriars etc etc etc and the size/density of bubble inclusions seems to vary so much.  Can anyone suggest some reference source on glass production that will help me understand the different processes a bit more.  ooops sorry Frank, forgot to mention Scottish glass in my list! cheers all, steph (avid but ignorant learner)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:40:37 PM »
Very little published on such techniques.

Craquelle is achieved by dipping the piece in water and only experience and technique prevents it from shattering completely, or even exploding. Crackle is a common English term for it.

Bubbles can be introduced mechanically by pricking the glass with needles, either by hand or in a mould. There is a picture of such a mould in one of the archive postings. Or by sprinkling powder of any substance that vaporises when the second gather is taken - giving random bubbles. The Ysart's used charcoal which did not completely vaporise and small black particles can be found in the glass. The bubble distribution is controlled in hand-blown by the use of dip-moulds before the second gather and later manipulation. Some controlled application of the vaporisable material could also be used.

Lots of variations on the above.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »
This is all crackle, no bubbles, and the crackle is inside the glass, must be cased then?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »
I think it was Carder who used to put ash branches in the batch to make bubbles.

Could it be overshot and cased maybe?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 01:37:52 PM »
It's smooth on the surface so I don't think it's overshot.  :)

100% crackle.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 03:33:02 AM »
Karcag glass i believe...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 06:40:47 AM »
Yes I thought so as soon as I opened the thread - I didn't realise the thread was so old :)
very pretty.
m

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
another way to achieve something like is to roll in a baking soda solution, which gives a fake scavo effect and then reheat just a little and then encase in clear.  that creates lots of small irregular bubbles.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
another way to achieve something like is to roll in a baking soda solution, which gives a fake scavo effect and then reheat just a little and then encase in clear.  that creates lots of small irregular bubbles.

Or dip in a bucket with Bicarbonate of Soda dissolved in it, before gathering.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand